Smokin Today - Pork Butts

wayne patton

TVWBB Member
Local grocery store had a large meat sale. I found 2 pork butts at about $1.39/lb. I put them on at 5:30 this morning . . It's cool out today, smoker running a bit cooler, having to run one of the bottom vents a little more open than this summer when I got my WSM.

-wayne

I have noticed i need to crank two of the vents to 2/3 as opposed to 1/2 now that it has gotten a little cooler. My WSM is experiencing its first fall.

Good luck with the butts, i gots some spares in.

It's been holding steady at 225. I just opened two of the bottom vents a little to see if I can get it up near 240-250. Top vent wide open as usual.

Or, depending on the size of the butts (how big?) and what time you hope to pull them off, perhaps a bit higher.

They are about 8 and 9 lbs each. Both were packaged together at 17.55 lbs. I don't have a target time. Whenever they are done. The ones I have done before took close to 14 hours at about 230 degs. I have it running just under 250 now. So I am hoping for 6-6:30 done time. I am going to throw some brats on in a while for lunch. Gotta make morning coffee run and pick up the brats . . .

Be back in a bit
icon_smile.gif

wayne

Wow . . . long time today. Ran smoker at 235-250 most of the day. 17 hours later . . . They are currently resting under some foil . . so I can get it pulled and go to bed! I think I'll try an overnight cook next time!

IMGP2424.jpg

Good looking butts. Yeah, overnight or higher heat. It's hard to do a butt cook during the day. Finishes too late. I do an over night with the plan to pull them off the WSM around 2PM then I rest them until dinner 5PM or so. That give me a chance to clean up for dinner and rest myself.

They were very tender. When I picked the 2nd one up off the grate, I broke in half . . . I had daughter and boyfriend picking pieces out of the pile when I was pulling the meat!

I also threw on a dozen brats . . . those are almost gone now.

-wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wayne patton:
I had daughter and boyfriend picking pieces out of the pile when I was pulling the meat!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My wife, who claims she doesn't like pulled pork, is forever doing that. Of course, she's always looking for the barky pieces. I hate when that happens.

Back