Smokin sum ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
I wanted to smoke some 7 blade this weekend, but I have had a sudden call for some spareribs. I am wondering about doing them with the skirt meat on? I love to relax on my smokin day, don't want to spend excess time preppin that could be spent sippin (A little Bookers seems to enhance the smoking expierence /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).How long do you think 2 rolled 5lb ribs will take?

Six hours at 225 degrees!! Hollar when they're ready!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'll throw my vote in for 8-9 hours. 5lbers. are HUGE and will take lots of time at 225?. Mine were always around 8-9 hours when I cooked them.

Regardless, best of luck and give us a full report.

Will Give a full report. Kevin, I have already put next sunday aside for the 7 blade, will report to the board next week.

Just put ribs on at 9:30 PST. Tried to roll them, tougher than it looks! These guys would not stand after rolling. So I cut racks in half and put on WSM flat 1 set on each rack. I see me buying Rib rack this week! Used MM to gently settle in at 225*. Next post in 3 hours.

I would consider the Brinkmann rib rack that has vertical dividers. I have the Weber rack and I am not that happy with it. The spacers are on a slant so it is hard to baste (spray) both sides of the ribs as they tend to lay over on each other. They also seem to get stuck in the slots as they cook, so you end up scraping a lot of your rub/bark off when you want to turn them.

I think the Weber is great for Baby backs, but I don't like it all that much for spares. Just my two cents.

I have a couple of the rib/potato racks from Cabelas. All of the dividers are fully vertical in that unit, there are 7 "gaps" that the ribs can fit in, including the end "potato spits". The brinkman rib racks that they had at Lowe's looked kind of "trapezoidal", some of the gaps were much larger than others, and I wasn't sure I could fit as many ribs in.

I have three racks of baby backs in one Cabela's rib rack now, with a slot to spare...between the two I could do 7 racks easy, 9 racks without much difficulty. Very nice units, I have really liked them much more than my old Webers.

Now if only someone would make a rib rack with a good non-stick coating I'd be a happy, happy person...but that's why they make Greased Lightning, I guess. :)

Turned, Basted, and switched ribs on the grills. All looks good! Will check again at 5 hour mark.Temp running 220-225. I use a candy therm, so I pushed it in deeper than norm since ribs are flat on grills, puts the tip of the therm closer to top grill.

Dwain,

I'll check out the Cabela's. The Brinkmann is a little odd. The middle spaces should work well, but the end spikes for potatoes don't leave much room for a rack of ribs.

I have 2 Weber racks and 1 like Stogie shows in the pic. I haven't used the Webers since I got the Charbroil rack. Sorry Weber, I just like the others alot better. I guess thats about the ONLY thing Weber makes that I dislike!! Just my opinion!

I used apple juice in a spray bottle at 3, 5, and 6 hour mark. I just took off the smaller bone ribs tear test says done. Large ribs are still on, gonna give them 30 min more. Temp jumped to 250, adjusted vents. Did not add water at 6hr mark want to let water level drop in pan, I think this had an effect.

Steve:
Sounds like those ribs are going to be done just in time to kick back, munch, and watch "Pork Fat Rules Sunday" on the Food Channel. They are having several hrs of BBQ shows on tonight starting at 8:00 est.
Good Qing to ya,
Kent

All I gotta say is thank you for all the info on racks, I will decide after looking at all I can find in SD. The ribs are wonderful! Yes I will be watching the food net tonight. I'm a huge Iron Chef Fan. The only thing I can find wrong with these ribs is they were a little too fatty. I will have to choose better next time. Also a thank you for all the info on this site.

Steve...

You mentioned fatty. Do you trim the outside fat from them? I trim every rack I get..even the loin backs. Cut out all outside fat...especially the fat between the bones. There also tends to be large fat patches on the ends. Then turn them over and trim the fat on the back.

Makes a huge difference. I did some spares yesterday and did NOT trim and they were the greasiest I have had with lots of large pockets of fat. I cooked them for over 6 hours so it should have had plenty of time to render.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back