Smokin lots of peppers - pics

Those peppers look great! Please post some pics after they are smoked if you got any. Also, a short description of the process you use would be much appreciated.

LOL, Me? Grow something that actually lives? I'm at the other end of the food chain I guess.

I have some shots I'll post up later this evening. Need to get around to resizing them.

Process couldn't have been easier. Used a few longitudinal cuts on both sides of the whole peppers and put them on a sprayed rack. Roughly a single 1/8" cut per inch of pepper did the trick. This was just to let the moisture escape.

Set my BBQ guru on the lowest setting and let it run. The temp ranged from about 165 to 185 on the bottom rack and about 175 to 205 on the top. In general I was running at about 175 on the bottom and about 185 on the the top.

The habaneros and ajis were done in about 10 hours. The guerros and chipotles took about 11 to 12.

The cherrys and italian peppers weren't done at 14 hours (bottom rack) so I let them go overnight. That was too long.

But..... the habs, ajis, chipotles and guerros came out great.

Side benefit: Since the pit was already fired up and going this morning I decided to do an impromptu brisket. No cleaning, all my probes were hooked up. All I needed to do was run out, buy the brisket, rub it and slap it on.

come on... we need to know what happened with those tomatillos we were talking about last week. I noticed you threw some on there...
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
come on... we need to know what happened with those tomatillos we were talking about last week. I noticed you threw some on there...
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.... we're gonna call this round a draw adam.

I'm going to give it another try. they were on the rack that went overnight. not sure if they're just not meant to be smoked or if I left 'em on too long.

the ones I roasted the skin off of sort of melted into the rack. the ones with the skin on had virtually nothing left of them and formed this black charred mass.

I'm gonna try it again. Maybe next weekend. I figure if anything they need about 12 to 15 hours.

let me know how round 2 goes. Since tomatillos are related to tomatoes, not chiles, maybe following methods for smoke drying tomatoes would work better?

That said, I think tomatillos would be really tough, since they are almost all water, unlike tomatoes, which have some good flesh to dry.

Good luck and let me know!

Back