Smokin' at Two Miles High w/ Okla. Joe's

Jerry S.

TVWBB Member
While in Colorado last week on vacation we took a gondola ride in Vail up the mountain. We then hiked another mile or more up to the top of the mountain. There on top, at an altitude of probably 10,500', was a BBQ restaurant with two huge smokers out in front. Everything was idle as I assume it was a winter/ski season operation only. The large offset smoker had "Smoking Two Miles High with Okla. Joe's" across the top.

Very impressive and it made me wonder about the technicalities of smoking at that high of an altitude. With less air I assume it takes longer to get up to temperature. Temperature spikes might also be less of a problem. I would also assume that cook times are the same once the correct temperatures are obtained.

Very disappointing that the restaurant was closed - my mouth was drooling for a brisket sandwich.

The boiling point of water changes with altitude, and I could see where it might be tougher to get higher temperatures when using a WSM with water in the pan.
Just my thoughts.
bkh

When we compete in Dillon and Frisco, Colorado we have to add at least an hour onto the cook times. With less dense air there are fewer molecules to transfer the heat. The higher you go the longer it is going to take.

Mark

Back