Smokig with Cedar?

Marc Massaro

TVWBB Fan
I'm new, have only used pieces of Hickory so far. Having a fence put in, white cedar and there are pieces left over that I can split and cut into nice chunks for smoking.
I havent seen any posts so far about cedar, it can be pretty aromatic...my question is- has anyone used it and is it suitable for smoking?

I wouldn't use it for smoking. Cedar is usually used for planking fish or chicken and is usually cooked indirect so you only get flavour from the plank, not much smoke.

Also it is quite possible that the wood has been treated with chemicals even though it is cedar.

Unless wood is sold specifically for cooking or you know the source it came from ie your yard or local orchards trimmings, I wouldn't cook with it.

Although cedar is commonly used for planking, softwoods like cedar and pines aren't suitable for smoking with. You'll end up with a heavy smoke full of soot, and that's the last thing you want on your meat. Generally speaking, just about any wood that produces a nut or fruit is ok...but there are exceptions. Sassafrass is good, especially for chicken if well-seasoned, but I hear that walnut can be extremely strong.

thanks guys...appreciate the replies!Will not smoke with it- I'll give the pieces to my brother, he can burn them in his patio fire-pit.

Back