Smokey Mountain vs Green Egg

WSM are for Smoking meat.. that's it.. no grilling
Kamados are for Grilling, you can smoke in a Kamado but the smoke penetration is not there
Therefore, I use my mini and WSM for smoking, Kamado for Grilling and the Performer for starting my charcoal chimney for my cookers

I've owned both as well. Sold the BGE and kept the WSM. Smoke at least once a week, grill 3-4 times a week on my performer. Love the Webers!

I bought the wsm because of this forum and because I saw so many people using them in competition bbq however I haven't seen green eggs in comps but the only people I know that have BGE barely ever use them and don't like them had one offer to trade for my WSM I 100 percent couldn't be happier with my WSM bone stock without a single modification I turn out better bbq than I've ever eaten from anyone else if you buy one you won't regret it

WSM are for Smoking meat.. that's it.. no grilling
Kamados are for Grilling, you can smoke in a Kamado but the smoke penetration is not there
Therefore, I use my mini and WSM for smoking, Kamado for Grilling and the Performer for starting my charcoal chimney for my cookers

Really? I must be doing it wrong...

1962688_798948800133387_1269756024_n.jpg

I have a Kamado Joe, which IMO is a better BGE, I use it for grilling and yes the food is better off it, moist, can't explain it, buy its true. Great for grilling prime rib eye steaks @ 750 degrees. For bbq I use my WSMs.

I bought a BGE in 1999, have used Weber kettles all my life, and this year got the 14.5" WSM in addition to my mini.
They all are good cookers, but I can take the 14.5 and the mini anywhere easily. If I could just choose one, it would be
a 22" kettle. Just so versatile.

Hi Scott
As you can tell the general feeling is that the BGE is an expensive product. All be it good at what it does there are limitations within that product. As there with the WSM however for the cost as Rick pointed out you could invest in a WSM and good grill and still have $$$$ left over to buy accessories if you wanted to. I know for myself I have the 37 and 47cm WSM and a good grill. The small WSM is great for taking camping, or just going away with the kids. The BGE is a very heavy product, my friend bought a Keg which is very similar to the BGE and he really likes it.
It all comes down what your cooking and what you plan on doing with your BBQ, are you going to slow cook or grill more?? do you need it to be mobile ? are you restricted to one bbq ?
If you do go for the BGE I am sure the guys who have shown interest in the thread would want to know if after a while are you content with your choice or not ??
Cheers
Alan

Back