smokey joe chicken

Benji Whitehead

TVWBB Member
i only have a smokey joe gold (i live in an apt.) and i want to slow cook some chicken (boneless skinless breasts) on it. i think i'll use some sticky fingers dry rub, then use one layer of coals, and a water pan with woodchips in it. any tips, hints. i have no idea what i'm doing. i love grilling on my smokey joe, i just want to try something different. thanks!!

If you have room, put all your coals on one side, add smoke wood to the coals, and put a water pan on the cooking grate over the coals, then put the chicken on the cooking grate next to the water pan, but over the cool side of the grill. Put the lid on so the vent is above your chicken opposite from the coals. I've smoked chicken many times on my Weber kettle using this technique.

thanks for the help. i don't know if i have room for all that on the cooking grate, but i'll check it out and see what happens. 'bout how long should i plan on cooking the chicken this way? i know this is probably going to be a total guess, but a guess is better than what i've got now, which is nothing.

My thighs were done in a little over an hour the other night, but if you are cooking boneless/skinless breasts they will be done sooner. I would brine the breasts, however. Check out the recipe section for brines.

Back