Smokenator reviews/feedback

I have one and it works great but it is no replacement for a WSM. It works as advertised but you have to keep checking your water level so it needs more tending to than a WSM. If you are going to smoke something occasionally this is fine but if you plan on smoking stuff on a regular basis bite the bullet and get you a smoker.

I agree with John. If this is the difference between you smoking or non-smoking I say go for it but if you're going to smoke a lot you're going to need a bigger smoker.

I have one and it works as advertised. I've done turkey, prime rib, ribs, chicken you name it. It works great but does require some babysitting.

Last edited:
I have one and it works great but it is no replacement for a WSM. It works as advertised but you have to keep checking your water level so it needs more tending to than a WSM. If you are going to smoke something occasionally this is fine but if you plan on smoking stuff on a regular basis bite the bullet and get you a smoker.

I agree with John. If this is the difference between you smoking or non-smoking I say go for it but if you're going to smoke a lot you're going to need a bigger smoker.

I have one and it works as advertised. I've done turkey, prime rib, ribs, chicken you name it. It works great but does require some babysitting.

Same as everyone else, it works okay but requires checking every hour. Not a huge hassle, but it has been relegated to the garage unless I run out of space on my WSM.

On a 22.5" kettle you can get better results for a lot less money. The better results are achieved by having a larger coal capacity that the Smokenator allows, more versatility on both hot coal starting and heat dissipation.

For years I when I had a 22.5" kettle I used 2 basic landscaping bricks stood on edge to dam up a bunch of unlit coals on one side of the kettle. The advantage here versus the Smokenator is you can adjust the bricks closer to or farther away from the kettle's side to increase or decrease coal capacity. The bricks serve as both coal containment and heat dissipator. With no cap on top, like the Smokenator, you are free to load coals up to the top of the grate.

For heat dissipation on top, I started off using a loaf pan full of water. One of the big complaints people have about the Smokenator is it's small water capacity. I used either a standard bread loaf or 9x9 pan filled with hot water placed on top of the grill above the coals. At least 4x the capacity of the Smokenator pan - and 2-3 hrs of heat dissipation before refilling. I eventually moved to a couple of firebricks, which absorb heat very well, and meant no more water pan. Worked like a charm.

On the One-Touch kettle systems I recommend you keep the bottom vents 1/2 - 2/3 open at all times. Foil the side of the charcoal grate that your drip pan will rest on to restrict airflow. I always got 5-6 hrs smoke times at 230-270 without touching a thing. I have gone as much as 8 hrs on a complete-to-capacity load.

While this is a good way to make your kettle a very capable smoker on-the-cheap, it is in no means a substitute for a WSM. And the Smokenator is a good product, that delivers very much as advertised. Many of us have just found a way to copy or exceed the results at far less cost. I have a large Green Egg and Bubba Keg kamados as my go-to devices for extended smoking. But had I not given my 22.5" kettle to a family friend I would have no hesitancy to use it for all my short-to-medium range cooks.

W Tyler,
I have and enjoy a 22 WSM. I recently acquired a 26.75 OTG from Amazon for $260 and they have 4 more sold as used if anybody is looking. I have the firebrick but have not used them yet. I notice you did not mention your 26 otg for smoking. I bought one thinking it would be good for smaller smokes,will be using digiq dx2. How will this work ok in your experience? Hope this did not offend OP but thought this fit with topic,if I hijacked thread I apoligize.

Andrew I had one for two years. As has been said, it can get the job done. Figure on adding water often. Figure on adding coals often. Figure on checking/tuning temperatures often. In the two years I had it, I think I used it a half dozen times. I really wanted to like this thing but eventually gave it to a friend who has used it once in 18 months. I enjoy grilling and BBQ. I didn't enjoy this. I ended up buying the smaller WSM and love it. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion. YMMV. Good Luck.

On the One-Touch kettle systems I recommend you keep the bottom vents 1/2 - 2/3 open at all times. Foil the side of the charcoal grate that your drip pan will rest on to restrict airflow. I always got 5-6 hrs smoke times at 230-270 without touching a thing. I have gone as much as 8 hrs on a complete-to-capacity load.

I cannot believe I've never thought to foil the charcoal! I'll have to remember that trick next time I run out or room on my WSM (which has yet to happen).

Back