SmokeFire Hopper Mods

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I have modified every smoker I've owned. Chargriller, ECB, Kettle, WSM, and now my EX6. Can't help myself. Before I ever put pellets in my EX6 I modified the pellet hopper and I can get 12 hours without stirring the pellets. I bought a scoop to load pellets easily and it works. My 25 yr. old Grandson, Josh, agreed to direct, shoot, and edit a video showing what I've done. I told him what I wanted to demonstrate and he made it happen. hope it helps someone.
I

I have to get some of that tape, did you get it on Amazon? Great video Lew, nice to see you hanging out with your 25 year old grand kid. I have a couple young boys and couldn’t imagine them not only grown, but with kids of their own.
you’ve done well!

Last edited:
I have to get some of that tape, did you get it on Amazon? Great video Lew, nice to see you hanging out with your 25 year old grand kid. I have a couple young boys and couldn’t imagine them not only grown, but with kids of their own.
you’ve done well!
I got the 2" wide tape off Amazon. It takes 3 strips to cover the bottom and I covered every bit I could down to the chute opening. The pellet dump door got a separate piece so it would move in and out freely.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00823JFAI/?tag=tvwb-20

You didn't ask but I want to get this link up. I bought a Stainless Steel Ice scoop but Aluminum ones can be found for half that price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BT537XM/?tag=tvwb-20

Bruno, I have lived a full and satisfying life. I am very close to my 7 Grandkids. Despite all that 2020 has brought our way I can't complain. Enjoy those kids and smoke on. :)

Lew, Thanks for sharing your modification
Even though I don't have a SmokeFire I'm going to get some tape and do my Camp Chefs pellet chute.

I still have my CC DLX. Over a year ago I waxed the inside of the hopper and it helped. I just never got around to taping it. Guys, thanks for the reminder. I'll use the rest of the tape in the DLX. 😁

Thank you, Lew. I might try the tape, but I haven't had any issues with pellet feed, though I do stir them around a 1-2 times a cook usually. I do have the newer ramp that already came installed when I bought the grill and like it for the flat part above the controller as it's a nice place to store the temp probes.

Thank you, Lew. I might try the tape, but I haven't had any issues with pellet feed, though I do stir them around a 1-2 times a cook usually. I do have the newer ramp that already came installed when I bought the grill and like it for the flat part above the controller as it's a nice place to store the temp probes.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. 😁

Back