Smokefire Final Exam Pork Butt

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I bought the Smokefire hoping it would replace my Performer, WSMs, and Camp Chef pellet grill. I don't have any of the replacement hardware in this grill but my software is all current version stuff. Last week I grilled steak and chicken on it and it's a good grill. My Performer sold 2 hours after listing. Yesterday I did Jerky on it and it's a Jerky maker. There goes the Camp Chef. Today I did the longer smoke test. I removed the finger guard on the pellet chute and put UHMW tape on the long sloping ramp hoping to get consistent pellet feed. . I started the SF at 6:30 this morning and shut it down at 5 PM. I deliberately avoided creating vibrations that might help pellet movement. It ran for 10.5 hours and I never touched the pellets as it ran. When I shut it down the chute was still full and the pellets were lined up waiting to slide in. That's enough to convince me that this one is "set it and forget it". I had a failure to start on my first attempt on July 4th and it has started quickly 7 times since. That covers the WSMs job. I may still encounter problems but I'm delighted with the performance of the Smokefire. My daughter and Son-in-Law joined us for the 4# pork butt at dinner. Everyone enjoyed a moist, tender, and delicious pulled pork dinner.
SF Pork Butt 7-12-2.JPG

SF Butt pulled.JPG

It was the boneless half of an 8 pounder and it cooked for 9 hours. First three at 225 and then 6 hrs. at 250. Rested for 2 hours in a cooler. Donald commented on the great smoke ring. My sons are my quality assurance guys and after I pulled it he taste tested to see if I needed the finishing sauce. No finishing sauce.

My Grandson is getting married in September. He and his fiance are paying for their wedding so it's on a shoestring. They asked me to make pulled pork for the reception. I only need an EX4 but one reason I chose the EX6 was so I could easily handle the pork butts for their wedding.

Sounds like you're one happy camper Lew and that's great. PP looks really good.
I think pellet grills will be the wave of the future, set and forget and remote access and less mess than charcoal and as good if not better results.
I will keep my performer for KFC and pizzas plus I have 16 bags of charcoal to use up, that's when we can use charcoal again and my genesis 2000 along with the NG E320 our outside oven, as hot as it is I couldn't imagine not keeping it. Of course the camp chef stays no wind or 30 mph winds don't phase it a bit. So my WSM was the first to go. Sold another gasser and have the Skyline up for sale.

Back