Smoked Wings from Frozen?

A Harrison

TVWBB Member
Anyone ever smoke chicken wings that are frozen?

If so any time/temp reccomendations?

I usually do fresh wings at 225 for about an hour before cranking the heat up to 350 to crisp up the skin for a few minutes a side.

I generally let them thaw before cooking but I guess you could cook them from frozen. Your usual temps are about what I was thinking but I would run longer at 225 to allow for thaw. Maybe add 30 minutes or so at 225?

I generally “thaw rub” mine, overnight or so. Not sure how the immediate application of heat will effect the texture, I’d be concerned about them being mushy. Let us know...

If they are frozen why not throw them in a large freezer bag fill up your sink with water you don't need much and they will thaw pretty quick when you leave them in the water. I agree with Kyle not only will you most likely get a rubbery skin but it would have to throw off your normal cooking times a lot.

I wouldn't be afraid to throw them on my pellet smoker frozen and give them a 1 hour run on the smoke setting then ramp it up to cook/crisp them , some times you find another way to skin the cat lol

Back