Smoked whole chicken and baby backs

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
I decided to try to smoke an entire chicken. I made baby backs as a fall back in case I screwed up the chicken, lol. I bought some brine solution and let the chicken sit overnight.

Brine solution-
6848765256_922264a3d1_z.jpg

Chicken after brine-
6848771752_bf7dae3b87_z.jpg

Ribs after seasoning-
6994887501_31d59af028_z.jpg

Ribs and Chicken in the smoker. Read I should put the chicken below-
6848766740_47d20ac42d_z.jpg

Trusty Oregon Scientific probe-
6848767200_2f9696aae8_z.jpg

Chicken done-
6994891457_1a2af695f5_z.jpg

Ribs done-
6994892079_a5087b4c51_c.jpg

The chicken was the most moist I have ever had. My wife was loving it, even bragged about it later.

Awesome cluck and oink there! Brining does wonders on poultry. You'll be primed and ready when it comes time to cook the Thanksgiving bird.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Awesome cluck and oink there! Brining does wonders on poultry. You'll be primed and ready when it comes time to cook the Thanksgiving bird. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must have been reading my mind. After it was all don, I was thinking that doing a turkey this way would be magical!

Great chicken Derrick. A couple things to watch for with chicken: it is easy to over-smoke, and it's not easy to smoke it and get a crispy skin. If you had any trouble with that, do the chic high heat, no water in the pan.
Nice work!

Great job Derrick! I am cooking a gobbler tomorrow and was debating on brining it. That bird settled it. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Great chicken Derrick. A couple things to watch for with chicken: it is easy to over-smoke, and it's not easy to smoke it and get a crispy skin. If you had any trouble with that, do the chic high heat, no water in the pan.
Nice work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife doesn't like alot of smoke, so it is rare I get to come close to over smoking. I planned on putting the chicken in the oven for a few minutes at high heat (around 400) to crisp up the skin, but once I took it off the smoker, we attacked the chicken, lol.

Great looking cook derick , im doing that this weekend. You never mention what deg you did the ribs and chicken and how long for both. How many hours . Did you take the ribs off before or after , just looking to check mine when i do for the time strenths
Thanks
jerry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry (Ronkonkoma NY):
Great looking cook derick , im doing that this weekend. You never mention what deg you did the ribs and chicken and how long for both. How many hours . Did you take the ribs off before or after , just looking to check mine when i do for the time strenths
Thanks
jerry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The chicken should be finished hours before the ribs, in my experience.

Back