Smoked Turkey Sunday Night Dinner

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was so excited when I went to my local butcher shoppe before Christmas and they had boneless skinless turkey breast. This is the first time I have ever seen them local. Found out it is just a new seasonal item that they are trying out, but don't plan to keep them in stock at all time. So I picked up two. The first was used to make a Texas style smoked turkey breast last week. We turned that into turkey clubs and some other fancy turkey sandwich combinations. On a side note I used wild fork's bacon steaks for those sandwiches, wow was that bacon good, however back to this cook, this was was going to be Sunday night turkey dinner with all the fixings and gravy.
IMG_20230107_124120.jpg

After a 24 hour wet salt brine, it got seasoned up with my turkey rub and onto the kettle with the Arua Kettle Zone System and the defuser plates. Placed my CI skillet with chicken stock and the Killa Grilla smoky joe grate on top it set the meat on to let the dripping go into the stock to make some smoky flavorful gravy.
IMG_20230108_142716.jpg

At the hour mark using the old school turkey baster.
IMG_20230108_151929.jpg

Getting all the sides together.
IMG_20230108_151626.jpg

Two hour mark, getting closer. Internal temp is at 145, grill has been sitting right around 265 most the cook.
IMG_20230108_160010.jpg

At 155, I took the stock inside to make gravy and put the turkey right on the grate, it ready did sizzle a little.
IMG_20230108_171231.jpg

After a painful 20 minute rest, I cut it up.
IMG_20230108_173134.jpg

Plated with a whole bunch of goodies.
IMG_20230108_174339.jpg

The only problem with that photo is I did not add the gravy and as soon as I added the gravy it was over. The gravy was amazing. Smokey, spicy, sweet, and rich! This was a great dinner, everyone said it was one of the best lately. The turkey was super tender and the turkey rub come through so much more being a boneless skinless breast. If I see these at the Butcher Shoppe again I will buy two more. They really are an enjoyable cook.

Why was the rest painful? Couldn't wait to eat?
It just filled the whole kitchen with the amazing smell when I brought it in and I just wanted to cut into it the moment it come in. Also, I have never done a boneless skinless turkey breast where I did not (foil) wrap it the last part of the cook so I was extremely nervous/excited to see if it stayed juicy or not. After the first cut I knew I did not have to worry about the juiciness or the the tenderness, as it was perfect!

Last edited:
curious what salinity level you wet brined at, please.

i have two boneless turkey breasts in the freezer and will be cooking one up soon; maybe this weekend for the playoffs.

curious what salinity level you wet brined at, please.

i have two boneless turkey breasts in the freezer and will be cooking one up soon; maybe this weekend for the playoffs.
I did 5%, 1.5 litter of water and 75 grams of kosher salt. No salt in the rub. Super juicy and tender, but not salty at all.
The other three blsl turkey breast I have cooked, I have followed this method and really loved those too.

Back