Smoked turkey breast with pics

TEisenhauer

Nothing special here, just thought I would smoke a 7 lb turkey breast on my OTS. For this cook I am using Stubbs charcoal and Stubbs chicken rub. For the snake, I stacked charcoal 2 wide and 2 high that wrapped around about half of the grill, with three chunks of pecan wood on top. I read a post where someone removed the skin and just seasoned the turkey breast, so I thought I would try it.

I started the snake with 8 lit briquettes but it was taking forever for the temp to come up so I added 5 more lit and that helped alot. Temps stayed between 290 and 310.

Here are some pics:

Here's the bird all seasoned up
IMG_5397.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The snake
IMG_5400.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just put the bird on
IMG_5416.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

About an hour into it
IMG_5423.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Two hours in
IMG_5424.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5425.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IT just hit 160, ready to come off
IMG_5426.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sliced up after a 30 minute rest
IMG_5428.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5429.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Let's eat
IMG_5430.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Overall, the bird was excellent. It was very juicy. I think for the next cook I will leave the skin on and just season under the skin. I liked the Stubbs charcoal, it didn't seem to create as much ash as KB. I didn't take a pic of the snake at the end but it only burned about half of the snake in two and a half hours. Anyway, I've got some good leftover meat for sandwiches. Thanks for looking.

Great looking bird and pictures. The bird looks very moist. I have never removed the skin but I have mixed my seasoning with mayo and rubbed it under the skin.

It looks delicious. I would use some leftovers for sandwiches, and some for smokey turkey salad.

Very nice cook! I really like doing turkeys on the kettle they don't seem to dry out like they do in the oven.

I removed the skin but the outer layer of the turkey got just a tad tough, nothing major, if you slice it thin enough you wouldn't even notice.

Back