Smoked stuffed burgers

Paul Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm a bit late in posting this up but better late than never I spose. On new years eve we had a few people over and decided to smoke stuffed burgers. Picked up two presses at Menards and gave people a bunch of things to put inside (cheese, bacon, sun dried tomatoes, shrimp, etc). They were rather huge at about 3/4 lb each but came out darn tasty. I smoked them at 250 for about an 1:15 or so with an empty pan and a couple small chunks. Only got one picture unfortunately.

20131231_220121.jpg

I like the idea of a Build Your Own Burger party, I'm going to have to use that one.
Not only does it get the guests into the cook, it gives you all a good hour and a half to just sit around and have a good time.
Your picture is outstanding. Like that smoke ring.

Beauty smoke ring - I normally finish the burgers on the grill after smoking at about 180f or so for about an hour. Gonna have to try your method of smoking at a higher temp and no grilling. I have stuffed burgers before but never smoked stuffed burgers. When I have stuffed burgers a problem is that some cheese melts out....by keeping the temp to a moderate level the whole time this may? not happen at all! Blue cheese, sauted mushrooms and onions are what I am thinking for inside my burger.

I picked up the presses at Menards, they were with the grill items. The only down side was they are huge so you can't do multiple burgers per person to experiment with stuffing ingredients.

I was worried about leakage as well but we kept the "cup" part of the burger on the bottom and none of them leaked. I used 80/20 so there was a good deal of fat that cooked out, but they ended up a nice deep reddish brown even without grilling them. The hardest part was getting them onto the smoker, by the time everyone stuffed theirs the meat was at room temp and I was worried they might fall apart trying to get them off the platter.

Everything turned out well though and everyone liked them.

Back