Smoked, Stacked Roast Beef Sandwiches

D. L. Whitehead

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all,

One of my favorite foods is smoked, stacked roast beef sandwiches made from whole eye-of-the-round roasts. I smoked up such a roast this morning on my 22.5" OTG.
EOR_01.JPG

Whole roast trimmed and sprinkled lightly with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.

EOR_2.JPG

Finished smoked roast.

EOR_3.JPG

Interior of the finished roast.

Stacked_Sandwich_01.JPG

The sandwich.

We also had homemade potato salad and smoked, baked beans.

Have a great weekend!

Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Looks like it's very moist, that's a lean piece of meat.

What temp did you pull or foil it ?

John

Hi John,

I had a drip pan partially filled with water and I do believe this helps retain moisture in the meat--not to be confused with adding moisture to the meat. I pulled it at 160 degrees F. It was a relatively small diameter roast and I suspect, based upon the color, that it didn't rise much, if any, past that temperature as it rested.

I didn't foil it. It just rested for about 35 minutes on the cutting board before I sliced it.

Eye-of-the-round is usually listed as the second leanest cut of beef.

That looks like a mighty fine sandwich. With some good mustard, and homemade pickles, it would be perfect!

Did it have much of a smokey flavor?

D.L.

Was it nice and tender. Some in my family, are pretty fusey about tenderness.

I have stayed away from the eye of the round roast for 2 (Fusey family) reasons.

1. They don't like red (rare) meat. If they see blood they won't eat it.

2. Eye round I think to be tender has to be eatin a little on the rarer side.

John

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
That looks like a mighty fine sandwich. With some good mustard, and homemade pickles, it would be perfect!

Did it have much of a smokey flavor?

Hi Tom,

Yeah, it had a decent amount of smoke flavor. It was on for about about four hours and I applied fairly heavy smoke. I used a little mesquite and some white oak. It smoked fairly well and a nice 1/2" smoke ring developed. The smoke ring is just a little darker red than the pink of the interior of the meat.

D.L.

Was it nice and tender. Some in my family, are pretty fusey about tenderness.

I have stayed away from the eye of the round roast for 2 (Fusey family) reasons.

1. They don't like red (rare) meat. If they see blood they won't eat it.

2. Eye round I think to be tender has to be eatin a little on the rarer side.

John

Hi John,

Tenderness, if eaten as in this type sandwich is not a problem. The meat was sliced thin and consequently had a very nice chew.

Having this cut of beef well done, tender and juicy is a conundrum. Slicing thin helps with the tenderness. But cooking 'til there is no red juice is going to leave the meat a little more dry. Below, is a photo of another eye-of-the-round that was a little more well done. It was juicy, but still had some red juice too.

Eye-of-the-Round.JPG

My mother always cooked her beef well done--almost gray in color--despite the fact that we had wonderful homegrown, corn fed beef. Some people are just that way.

D.L

I wunder what temp you might have cooked the second roast to ? I think I'd like to give this a try. I know Some or maybe all of the of the family including myself would really enjoy this.

John

D.L

I wunder what temp you might have cooked the second roast to ? I think I'd like to give this a try. I know Some or maybe all of the of the family including myself would really enjoy this.

John

Hi John,

I always try to cook these roasts to 160 degrees F. I'm not much of a record keeper, but I believe the second roast was removed at or near 160. It probably cooked more after taking it off and resting than the other, more pink roast did. That first, more pink roast was the smallest eye-of-the-round roast I've ever cooked. It weighed 4.33 lbs before trimming. The second, slightly more well done roast probably weighed between 5 lbs and 6 lbs. Since the larger roast had more mass and a bigger diameter, it likely continued to cook significantly more as it rested.

I simply pull these roasts off and let them rest about 30 minutes or so on the cutting board. I suspect if you cooked a 5-6 lb roast to 160 degrees F. and let it rest wrapped in aluminum foil, you would still have a moist roast with not much, if any, red juice.

Remember, I cook these roasts with a partially filled drip pan of water to help the roasts retain moisture. I cook them, ideally, between 220 degrees F. and 230 degrees F.--pretty low and pretty slow. This is not specifically to tenderize the meat or to render fat. It is to help the meat retain moisture and reduce shrinkage.

The photos are not taken from the same perspective, but if you compare the raw roast and the cooked roast as they lay in the same pan, there is not hardly any shrinkage and there's juice aplenty. (Note: the pan was washed between photos.)

I paid $3.99 per lb. for the eye-of-the-round roast in Cryovac. Earlier this summer, I saw similar roasts at Sam's Club for $2.99 per lb.

D.L. Great pics of the round. I have always done them on the kettle as well, S&P and gran garlic. They come out really good. I pull mine at about the same temp as you do 155-160. Yes the key is slicing thin. Think I need to do one again soon. Nice ring man.
icon_cool.gif

D.L.

You talked me into it. Next time eye of the round roasts go on sale, that's what were cooking.

I alway like to try something new when it's on sale to minimize my losses if it doesn't come out the way we like it.

I think if I pull it at 160 I should be fine.
Thanks

Back