Smoked Sirloin!

Scott H.

TVWBB Member
Tried smoking sirloin last night...steaks, not a whole one or sirloin tip. They were about an inch thick, maybe slightly over an inch. I brushed them with olive oil and applied a very liberal coating of Weber Chicago steak seasoning, used 6 lit coals over a layer of unlit with two hickory chunks. Going with this few coals lit and the vents about 90% closed, I was able to maintain around 165 at the lid. Three hours later, the most tender sirloin steaks I've ever been able to create. I've never had much luck having them come off my kettle as tender as I like them, but I think I'll be doing them this way from now on. The smoke flavor was awesome, and we never touched the steak knives. I've read online about sirloin steaks drying out when attempting to smoke them, but keep the temps down and realize that you're not going for a seared look, and you'd be surprised. With the Chicago steak rub, they were so beautiful that I wished I'd taken pictures before the family ate them. No leftovers. And no steak sauce (very rare for us).

Interresting. Could you describe the texture and mouthfeel of the smoked sirloin verses grilled. I'm thinking pretty soft, mushy or not? I'm sure the texture changes a good deal, just wondering how much? Thanks and glad to hear it came out great for you.
icon_cool.gif
But Dude! no pics.
icon_frown.gif

It wasn't mushy at all, it was still definitely steak, just really tender like a high-dollar cut of meat. I could've pulled it off sooner as the meat was without a pink center (or was it the smoke that did that?), but I was going for a clone of the Texas Land & Cattle Co. Restaurants' Smoked Sirloin. Everyone that had tried to duplicate it said that they must start with a whole sirloin, but my examination revealed that if there was rub on both sides of a slice that was only an inch thick, they were working with pieces much smaller like the steaks I used. Next time I do this, which will be soon, I'll take some pictures for sure.
Oh, I also used Brinkmann charcoal pan full of water to help keep the temps low.

I've done the salt and pepper tenderloin Chris has in the cooking section and that is an amazing piece of meat. I think I would like this sirloin even better as I am guessing it would have a little more texture than the filet (even with a sear finish it is very soft). My Dad is from Texas and he told me about smoked steak he used to eat there.

Back