Smoked Shrimp

Ben E Lou

TVWBB Member
In the process of going into the garage freezer to get some chickens to thaw for smoking this weekend, I ran across a pound of frozen shrimp out there. Inspired by having recently read about Alton Brown's bowl-smoked shrimp recipe, I thought I'd try smoking some shrimp on the WSM.

Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a pound of shrimp and coated them well, then sprinkled garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, and sea salt on 'em:

20130220_18.22.45.jpg

Stacked the charcoal and apple wood on one side to save on fuel:

20130220_18.15.51.jpg

They smoked for about 45 minutes and were lookin' good:

20130220_19.13.52.jpg

Threw some yummy frozen veggies on a plate, and here was dinner:

20130220_19.21.07.jpg

I might add a *hair* less apple wood the next time, and I would peel them first. But the flavor was pretty much perfect. Very happy with it, and the whole meal (I ate half of them, will eat the other half reheated tomorrow) was less than 500 calories. Yowza.

Great looking shrimp!! I have never tried smoking them, but I bet they take on smoke flavor very easy.

I'm wondering if leaving the shells on helps to prevent the shrimp from taking on too much smoke. Much like the shells help to give you a margin of error to not overcook the little buggers.

I'm wondering if leaving the shells on helps to prevent the shrimp from taking on too much smoke. Much like the shells help to give you a margin of error to not overcook the little buggers.

I was thinking the same thing. They look great, though! If you're going to she'll them first I'd use a lot less smoke.

Looks stunning...Love smoked shrimpys! have a hard time finding them fresh though..Almost always pre boiled.

Back