Smoked Salmon meatloaf

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
A few weeks ago my nephew calls me and suggested making a meatloaf out of salmon. Kind of like a big salmon patty. I had him over yesterday and I made this recipe. I doubled the recipe. Actually I got carried away and added an extra 6 oz can more than needed. I also used 3 shakes of cholulua and it could have used more. Next time I will use more and may use some ground like cayenne.

Instead of the oven I planned on smoking in a 325° wsm using alder. I was planning on a very similar to a meatloaf cook. Later I was worried it might dry out so I put it in a 9x13 foil pan. Looking back I would say it would work fine on the rack like a meatloaf.

The cook turned out to be about an hour. I went out to check on it about 20 minutes in and realized I forgot to put the smoke wood on. I threw it on and at least got some smoke on it. This turned out very tasty. I really liked the green pepper in it. It needed a bit more smoke and it seemed a bit dry but I attribute that to the extra can of salmon I accidentally put in the recipe. I can't wait to try this again with a few modifications.

Interesting Jeff - if you are using canned salmon then it's already cooked. I may give this a try. I have a few large fillets (cooked) left from a reception (vacuumed, but not in the freezer just yet). That I might use for one of these.

I might switch out the green pepper for red or go half and half red/green.

Sounds good Jeff. We often make salmon burgers or smaller salmon patties as appetizers for parties but never a salmon loaf, will definitely give it a try.

My nephew called me up and suggested it. I wasn't real excited about it at first. I will try anything once. Within reason that is.
icon_biggrin.gif
We talked about doing a mix of salmon and tuna. After finding the posted recipe we went for the salmon totally.

Ray yes it was the canned cooked salmon. I don't think it matters red or green pepper. It tasted good in the mix but I think the water in the onions and peppers kept the whole thing moist and flavorful.

Jeff, I hate salmon but that's not why I'm posting. You could add a 1/2 cup of Hellmann's mayo to the mix. It won't change the flavor just add some much needed moisture for the salmon loaf, if using canned salmon. Canned salmon is very dry. Now tuna loaf, that sounds mighty yummy to me. If using tuna, some sweet pickles/relish 2-3 TBS would go good with it, instead of the peppers and some softened celery. I would also def use the mayo, just like canned salmon, canned tuna is also dry, once drained.
icon_wink.gif
IMO, It would be the bomb if you used fresh ground salmon. I would use the recipe with fresh ground tuna, with all that tuna oil/fat in there, same as if you used fresh salmon. I'll bet it would be over the top.
icon_biggrin.gif

Interestingly enough Emeril's series today was on Salmon, pretty nice recipe for Salmon Burgers.

Bryan that is a good idea on the mayo. Thanks.

Actually when my nephew and me got talking about doing the salmon meatloaf we were discussing possibly putting tuna in with it. Making an all tuna version sounds even better. Maybe even a modification of my favorite tuna casserole dish sounds good smoked. Thanks for the tips. I will post back when I try it out.

Bryan, I couldn't stand it anymore. I spent last night and part of the day thinking of a smoked tuna loaf. I came home and my wife was going away and I was making supper. I got the kids what they wanted and I proceeded to make a tuna loaf.

I fashioned it after my favorite tuna casserole recipe. Which is merely 2 cans of tuna, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and potato chips. I use the 99¢ bag of mike sells chips which I believe is regional name.

I got into the pantry and here is what I came up with. I used a big bag and a small bag of tuna, which was 10 oz total. I didn't want a lot of soup so I cut it in half. I used 1 can cream of mushroom soup. I wanted to use a can of cream of celery but we didn't have any. I chopped a little onion and smashed about a cup of potato chips. Unfortunately I didn't have any sweet pickles around. I think that would have set it off nicely. It was still quite moist. It didn't want to come out of my bowl. I put it on a wire rack like I do a regular meatloaf on.

I fired the wsm and cooked it about an hour. The wsm temp only got up to 250° at the end. I used a chunk of alder and a chunk of pear. I had plenty of coal left plus the 2 chunks of alder that didn't completely burn last weekend on the salmon loaf.

The salmon loaf the other day was good, the tuna loaf was excellent. In hind sight next time I will use 2 big bags of tuna possibly 3 cans if I have cans. Definitely needs some of the sweet pickles. I think it needed more smoke. It looked nice but wasn't a lot of smoke taste. I can't wait to try this again.

Thanks for the idea Bryan. I am not a big fan of salmon myself. I only started dabbling with salmon after I bought my wsm and found Chris's site here. I have made salmon several times since.

Ray seems like I saw part of that episode a week or so ago. I tuned in about half way through. I think I went and recorded a later airing. Time to check my tivo.

Jeff, I myself have been thinking about a smoked tuna loaf since posting in this thread. I love tuna. Your loaf sounds mighty tasty and like a winner to me.
icon_cool.gif
This is on my to do list, simple but good eats.
icon_smile.gif
I'll def put the sweet pickles in mine along with mayo, dill and minced onion & celery.

Back