Smoked Salmon 2 ways

Ben E Lou

TVWBB Member
As I mentioned in my first thread here, pretty much everything I've learned about grilling and smoking has been by trial and error. I've never used any internet resources before now, so it's interesting to find out what I've been doing "wrong" in some areas. That said, friends and family have raved about my smoking prior to the purchase of the WSM 22.5 in late December, so I guess I've done *something* right. ;)

One thing that I've always loved and that others have said I do particularly well is smoked salmon. And in my reading here and at some other sights, this is definitely something that I've done differently from the mainstream methods, so I thought a little "test" might be in order. Therefore, I bought two, exactly the same size (2.68 pounds), and held my own "smoke-off." One was cooked the "old way", the other using a simple brine recipe I found online. (I've never used a brine for salmon before.)

OLD WAY
1. Smother in lemon juice
2. Moderately sprinkle with sea salt
3. Moderately cover with Old Bay seasoning.
4. Let sit 15-30 minutes in fridge.
5. Smoke it.

NEW RECIPE
1. Brine
2. Rinse & Dry
3. Let dry in fridge
4. Lightly salt
5. Smoke it.

So, on to pics.

Pre-preparation, both looked like this:

20130104_10.22.48.jpg

Here's the one done "my way" immediately after initial lemon juice, salt, and old bay:

20130104_10.27.27.jpg

Here are both of them after brining/drying the "new" way (left) and letting the old way one sit:

20130104_13.19.47.jpg

Fired 'er up with fully lit coals and six chunks of alder:

20130104_13.20.50.jpg

Used cut-away tinfoil:

20130104_13.23.47.jpg

I used the MAV ET732 for the first time on this cook, and it was showing 260-290 as the cooking temp, the WSM was showing in the 220-240 range. I tend to believe the ET732, because after a little over 30 minutes, the salmon was ready to roll at 135. Also, in my first cooks for boston butt and pork tenderloin, the meat was done faster than what I would have expected from reading here.

Anyway, here's how they looked after those 30ish minutes of cooking:

20130104_13.55.57.jpg

My wife said she thought the "old" one looked more appetizing. I thought just the opposite. Go figure. :)

..and a little of each on my plate:

20130104_14.03.55.jpg

All in all, we both thought they were very close. My wife thinks she'll like the new one a hair better if I don't do any seasoning post-brine. (I'd agree that it probably didn't need any more salt.) The flavor on both was magnificent, and much easier to do on the WSM than on any of my previous cookers. All in all, I was very pleased with this cook, despite the temperature discrepancy. (Any thoughts on that?)

My own thoughts/evaluation after trying some of both recipes cold, and just thinking on it some more:

• The brine seems to distribute the seasoning/flavor better. Taking a bite of my old-style that doesn't include the outer-flavored portion, it's actually fairly bland compared to the new. That said, salmon isn't terribly thick. It's pretty easy to get the outer portion in every bite if you're trying.
  • Really like the flavor that the alder brings to the table. Very happy about that.
  • The brined recipe has a very lox-ish feel to it, which I like. I could easily see munching on it with some cream cheese, capers, and red onions as a snack. Not so for the Old Bay version.
  • I think I'll Minion this the next time. Too hard to bring the temperature down.
  • All in all, I would serve it either way to guests and be proud.
  • I'm going to be eating a lot of salmon-related leftovers the next few days. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Salmon (bleh) but it looks like a good experiment, which is always fun to do with food.

You will find that the WSM will cook WAY easier than most other smokers out there. Guess that is why this is such a great website, so many fans of the Weber stuff that are great cooks.

Excellent salmon Ben! I have done variations of both your ways and both were excellent. It just depends on how much time I want to put into the prep work on how I cook it. That goes for most of my cooks. ;)

Looks good Ben! What was the ingredients in the "New Way" brine? Just salt?
3 quarts of water, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup salt. The guy who posted it elsewhere said "1-2 hours." I went all the way to two. I think I'll go with 90 minutes next time.

And Mike nailed it: when I have less time for prep, I'll do it the old way.

Both pieces look great and would happily have either at my table. Just wondering why you wouldn't add seasoning to the brined one. You could throw on a little garlic/onion/brown sugar/tarragon/dill combo and get the benefit of brining and a rub.

Both pieces look great and would happily have either at my table. Just wondering why you wouldn't add seasoning to the brined one. You could throw on a little garlic/onion/brown sugar/tarragon/dill combo and get the benefit of brining and a rub.
This particular brine and timing gives the meat a very lox-like feel. It is definitely on the salty side. It really doesn't need anything else. Adding any rub or seasoning would probably make it too strong. And plus this way it is great with eggs for breakfast (had it this morning,) and surely with cream cheese/capers/red onions as an appetizer. For my tastes (and those of my bride) I think the clear move here is to try to perfect the salt/smoke balance and not try to add anything else.

Back