smoked pork tenderloin

ChrisMoorer

Planning on smoking a couple of pork tenderloins this weekend. Anyone have past experience smoking these? I usually grill or bake them after about a 24-48hr marinade. I'll probably smoke at 250 and hit with a reverse sear when internal temp hits 135ish. I perfer a light pink center on my pork tenderloin.

One other thing is that the weather isn't going to be ideal this weekend and I'm facing cold rain, but don't want to let it derail my plans. What's the best way to handle smoking on a WSM22 in cold rainy weather? Should I use hot water in the water pan?

Licking my wounds today but Roll Tide!

As for using hot water in the pan, it will come up to temp from your fire fast enough. Don't worry about that. As for pork tenderloins, haven't done them yet, but will maybe this summer or spring. Gook luck with them and tell us how it goes.

Your plan sounds good. I never use water in the pan but you could certainly do that. It probably isn't going to make much difference one way or the other in dealing with a cold rain, though.

Just did my first tenderloin on the Performer using a basket of coals on either side and the meat in the middle of grate due to shear size. Think it was about 7.5 lbs. Rubbed with EVOO and hit it with salt and pepper,little bit of Apple for smoke. Got to 135/140 in about 1.25 hrs. Came out moist and juicy with a nice smoke hint. Everyone loved it and will do again.

BBEB9416-FA0D-49D9-9166-2CC5696886B8_zpsh21goepr.jpg

8AC36FF2-8E1A-46EB-B46F-C37C8455BCE8_zpsmkqnh6a8.jpg

Just did my first tenderloin on the Performer using a basket of coals on either side and the meat in the middle of grate due to shear size. Think it was about 7.5 lbs. Rubbed with EVOO and hit it with salt and pepper,little bit of Apple for smoke. Got to 135/140 in about 1.25 hrs. Came out moist and juicy with a nice smoke hint. Everyone loved it and will do again.

BBEB9416-FA0D-49D9-9166-2CC5696886B8_zpsh21goepr.jpg

8AC36FF2-8E1A-46EB-B46F-C37C8455BCE8_zpsmkqnh6a8.jpg
That's a pork loin, not a tenderloin. Looks great just the same

I stand corrected, it was a pork loin roast if I remember !! Think I'm suffering from Smokefusion since we have done a butt, brisket, filet and lobster tail, pork loin, and ribs and beans this past holiday week. Thank heavens for BEER!

Chris I did one the other day for New Years dinner, but I stuffed mine and did it on the Master touch. I put the coals to one side and it was done in less than two hours, I did not have to sear it as the kettle ran hotter than my WSM, it did get away from me and I pulled it a little late about 148 IT, but none the less came out great. it seamed to take smoke well so be sparing on the wood. I'm sorry but I can't help with cold and rain but as you know very little will affect the WSM except wind. I plan to show the cook in the photo gallery later today.
Hope I was of some help
Dave

I smoked 8 tenderloins for Christmas for my wife's family (but of course it didn't happen since I don't have pictures... Well, sorry, I was entertaining 35 in-laws!). Anyway, here's what I did and they were fantastic!

I don't have measurements, just what looks good. I inject the tenderloin with a combination of brown sugar, white sugar, salt (more than you think would be enough) Worcestershire sauce, pineapple juice (I did 2 small cans for 8 loins), Apple cider vinegar & molasses or honey. I like to let that sit for at least 3-4 hours but can go overnight. If the tenderloins are dry, then take a little bit of mustard to let the BBQ rub stick to the outside (if it's still wet from the injection, no mustard is necessary). I use the John Henry's Pecan rub but I can only find that in Some areas so I'd just go with a sweeter pork rub. Put it on the smoker at 225 degrees until it hits 140 degrees (probably about 2.5 hrs). With 30-min left,put some sauce on it. You could do blues hogs sauce, if you want it spicy, mix 1/2 regular blues hogs & 1/2 blues hogs Texas . Once done, pull it off the smoker & loosely cover for about 30-min. Let me know of any questions!!

Back