Smoked Pork Chops. Help!

RKruger

TVWBB Member
I have some pork chops from Costco and I want to smoke them. Any advice? I have noticed there aren’t a lot of posts on doing this, so is this a train wreck in the making? I want to brine then completely coat with mustard and a rub (still have to find one) and then smoke with a full water pan at 225 for about 3 hrs. I’m nervous about drying them out but, I think if done right they will be great. Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Bob, what thickness and cut are they and are they boneless? I prefer bone-on rib or shoulder chops over boneless and/or loin chops because they have more fat and are less prone to drying out.

They are a consistent inch and a half with no bone. I will cook to temp but I am hoping to be able to control the time they hit it within reason.

I have some pork chops from Costco and I want to smoke them. Any advice? I have noticed there aren’t a lot of posts on doing this, so is this a train wreck in the making? I want to brine then completely coat with mustard and a rub (still have to find one) and then smoke with a full water pan at 225 for about 3 hrs. I’m nervous about drying them out but, I think if done right they will be great. Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Those are cuts from the loin and they tend to dry out due to low fat content. They are better grilled fast and hot, IMO.

Ok, I found out that they are pork loin chops so I will adjust course. They are currently brining in a basic brine. I will fire up my smoker using charcoal and apple wood. Then I will direct sear them with the grate directly over the coals. After about a min and a half on each side I will put the middle section in the smoker. Should I also put the water pan in (empty) to create an indirect heat or leave it out just raise the chops to keep them from burning? How long should I expect this cook to take? I would expect my lid temps to be about 400 after I raise them up. I’m sure I’m over complicating this but I’ve been looking forward to tender smoky pork chops all week and I can already taste them.

Try any way you want to cook them. If you don't like them, hey, next time use another method

Back