Smoked Picnic on the OTG

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife picked up a 5½ lb. picnic. I used my standard indirect set up with two thin firebricks off to the side with a full chimney of unlit Kingsford original. I then added 11½ lit briquettes (11½ - must be accurate, you know LOL)evenly over the pile of unlit. I had stashed four (about 2" square) hickory chunks over the pile.

I put the top vent at 50% open and the bottom vent 50% open until the heat started to climb. I gradually closed the bottom vent to about 1/8th open. I was using my Maverick 732 to monitor both the meat grill and the meat. As the heat started to rise I put the roast on the meat grill.

I had applied the standard rib rub on the night before and put it up in plastic in the refrigerator. I removed the plastic just before grilling and applied another coat of rub.

The grill reached 300 degrees and held steady. I didn't remove the cover until the roast had been on 2½ hrs and the interior meat temperature reached 160 degrees. I then put the picnic roast in a throw away aluminum pan and tightly covered it and placed it back on the grill. After about two hours, I checked it after it had reached 195 degrees internal temperature. It was still not tender. I replaced the foil and let it go another thirty minutes. It now reached a temperature of 207 degrees and was tender. I removed it from the grill, poured off the juices (saving them)and let it rest for one hour while foiled. Then my wife pulled it.

It was just a touch less juicy than my last Boston Butt but was very tasty. After the Lexington N.C. Style (vinegar based) barbecue sauce was moderately applied and the pork tossed, it was only WONDERFUL! I neglected to mention that I added just a bit of the meat juices to the meat when tossing for added flavor.

I'll put the pictures in the next frame.

Dale53

Here are the pictures...

Here is the picnic roast just before foiling at 160 degrees.

SmokedPicnic-7-11-2012-42041_1600x1067.jpg

Here is the roast when finished:

SmokedPicnic-7-11-2012-42042_1600x1067.jpg

Here it is after pulling:

SmokedPicnic-7-11-2012-42043_1600x1067.jpg

We served this on large oblong buns with sides of local sweet corn, baked beans, and cole slaw (with fresh cauliflower).

Dale53

I smoke on my kettle as well....at 300 or so....and have noticed that I usually have to go about 200 as well for tender.

Thanks, good people. We certainly DID enjoy it. Being extremely critical, if I had to choose, if everything was equal, I'd pick a Boston Butt over a Picnic. However, I wouldn't hesitate to do a picnic again, either.

Both are excellent in their own ways. I believe there is less waste in a butt and it was slightly more moist, but mostly just quibbling over nothing.

I would really like to get a WSM but frankly, with just the two of us, and the great results smoking on the OTG, I just can't justify it.

FWIW
Dale53

ya might want to check out cajun bandit or smoke-ez.

You can turn your grill into a WSM (similar) and not have to have separate units on the patio!!

Oh and your pork looks great!!

For those that might be interested:

I added no coals and the temperature was still holding steady at 300 degrees.

At the four and a half hours point, I opened the bottom vent to about 1/4th as the temp started dropping (I assume the ash was reducing oxygen). That slight correction was enough.

Again, the Maverick 732 with remote is almost magical. It works beautifully. I was working on my computer part of the time (upstairs on the far side of the house from the grille) and still able to properly monitor the progress of both the grille and the meat. It really makes things more efficient in every way.

Dale53

Originally posted by Robert McGee:
For those that might be interested:

I added no coals and the temperature was still holding steady at 300 degrees.

At the four and a half hours point, I opened the bottom vent to about 1/4th as the temp started dropping (I assume the ash was reducing oxygen).

Dale53

I know a WSM would be great....but the kettles are excellent to smoke on. I like to peek, but I force myself to leave it alone for at least two hours in the beginning....it really doesn't need much maintaining.

Originally posted by Robert McGee:
Thanks, good people. We certainly DID enjoy it. Being extremely critical, if I had to choose, if everything was equal, I'd pick a Boston Butt over a Picnic. However, I wouldn't hesitate to do a picnic again, either.

Both are excellent in their own ways. I believe there is less waste in a butt and it was slightly more moist, but mostly just quibbling over nothing.

I would really like to get a WSM but frankly, with just the two of us, and the great results smoking on the OTG, I just can't justify it.

FWIW
Dale53

In the beginning I picked up picnics just because I didn't really see/know any difference. But now I actually do prefer a butt. Just personal preference.

Great post Robert. One day maybe a deal will come your way from C/L or some other place and you will get I smoker. You won't regret it but it has to be a want because you're right, the kettles are amazingly versatile.

I would like to thank my son, Shannon, for pointing me to this web site and giving me a hands on demonstration of the "Minion Method" and helping me find some fire bricks.

I hoped by showing pictures and giving details I might help some newbie like I was helped. The Weber kettle does an amazing job, however. I'll put my ribs and pulled pork up against anyone's even tho' I am obviously just an amateur at this. My meat is definitely better (not to brag, but facts are facts, LOL) than the local barbecue joints and I can't begin to tell you what satisfaction there is in doing it myself (and my wife's wonderful "sides" certainly add to the pleasure).

Gary S., I admit that I have checked out CL from time to time to see if someone is giving a WSM away (LOL).

At any rate, thanks to all for your help...

Dale53

All information on how too's are welcome from my end.

Robert looks like you did a fine job, I would eat at your place any time.

Very nice looking cook. When I first started smoking meats it was on a OTG and I learned how to do it by reading a post on chowhound.com by a contributor named woodburner. His way of doing the minion method was genius and got me through 2 yrs of smoking on the kettle. He would ring the kettle with 2 rows of briquets and then a third row on top of the two. He would then place wood chunks on top of the charcoal. He'd light the beginning of the row and place the meat in the center. I'm including a link.

http://www.chow.com/photos/303349

Back