Smoked Ice

T Waite

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone here do smoked ice? I like spilling a little bourbon over it. Also good in a Bloody Mary.

My favorite winter time drink is whiskey and Vernor's Ginger Ale. Can't be just any ginger ale, has to be Vernor's. I'm betting smoked ice would be top notch in that one too.

Tried it with iced tea, didn't care for it much. What do you like it with?

I love Bourbon, I just prefer to drink mine neat for the most part, although I do enjoy a pour of Knob Creek Single Barrel or Noah's Mill with one large ice cube, they stand up well to ice. I have been thinking about trying to mix up a Bacon infused Old Fashioned

The 3 B's - BBQ, Bourbon and/or Beer (preferably craft) makes for a good day, all in moderation of course.

I love Bourbon, I just prefer to drink mine neat for the most part, although I do enjoy a pour of Knob Creek Single Barrel or Noah's Mill with one large ice cube, they stand up well to ice. I have been thinking about trying to mix up a Bacon infused Old Fashioned

The 3 B's - BBQ, Bourbon and/or Beer (preferably craft) makes for a good day, all in moderation of course.

My current fav is Four Roses Small Batch. They also make a single barrel, but I actually like the small batch for drinking neat, since it's 80 proof compared to the 95 proof of the single barrel.

My current fav is Four Roses Small Batch. They also make a single barrel, but I actually like the small batch for drinking neat, since it's 80 proof compared to the 95 proof of the single barrel.
Four Roses Small Batch is one of my favorite bang for the buck Bourbons (under $30) along with Elijah Craig 12yr and Eagle Rare. Small Batch is actually 90 proof, Single Barrel 100 and Yellow Label 80, Four Roses Distillery is a great little Distillery to visit on the Bourbon Trail.

I haven't literally smoked ice cubes on my smoker. I have added ice cubes to the water pan to help control temps many years ago (no water in the pan anymore).

When I cold smoke bacon I smoke over multiple days with resting periods spaced out over night, few days on, few days off. The slabs go back in the fridge while resting and low an behold the icemaker (and all other contents of fridge and freezer) taste and smell of smoke... for a long time afterwards. I do not care for the taste in water, but I have never thought to capitalize on my misfortunes like you have suggested.

The wife was so furious after the second time, I was allowed to buy a dedicated fridge for meats. Cha-ching! (maybe I did capitalize afterall?!?)

What is the secret to smoking ice cubes? Do you put a bowl of water into the smoker then freeze that water? How long and what type of wood would you suggest?

The Amazing Ribs article pretty much sums it up. I put a bunch of ice cubes on a shallow sheet, like a sheet cake pan or cookie sheet. Smoke for a couple of hours, which turns it to water. Pour into ice cube trays an re-freeze.

You need to start with ice, not water.

Use sparingly. One cube goes a long way. If you need more, use regular cubes along with one smoked cube until you decide how much smoke you like.

For the bourbon drinkers, I prefer neat in the winter. Splashed over smoked ice is kind of an amazing transformation, almost makes it taste sweet. Not better, not worse, just different.

BTW, check the Beverages forum down below... I've posted a couple recipes for smoked cocktails (margarita, whiskey sour) that I really like. The sours are made with smoked lemons (cut in half, smoke at low temp for 60-90 minutes, juice and use). I haven't tried it yet, but a margarita made with smoked limes should be awesome too! The smoked margy recipe I posted uses a splash of smoked whiskey, and it's very good.

Back