Smoked Hamburger Patties

Darrin M

TVWBB Member
There was another topic about this on the search, but it was from 2002, so I figured, what the heck.

Last night, being Cinco De Mayo, some people were coming over and I decided to make fajitas. Not wanting to be normal, I got a couple of flank steaks and decided to cook them on the smoker. I put them on the lower grate and had the top one all empty and staring at me. I had a five patty pack of 85/15 hamburger meat in the fridge that I was going to grill, so I figured "Let's see what happens". I put some of my Poser Butt Rub (kind of like the Mr Brown rub) on it and stuck it on the top grate.

After about 2 hours, I took it off and let it rest in foil for 30 minutes. Talk about flippin' good! Nice smoke ring, awesome outside, and delicious. One of the best burgers I've ever had, and really different.

I highly recommend you give it a go. Go with 85/15 or 80/20. That lets it stay somewhat moist. You'll be pleasantly surprised I bet.

Yeah, that's what I was meaning. Usually, I use super lean meat for inside cooking, but these 15% fat ones looked so good at the store, I decided to try them. I'm pretty sure that if you use a leaner cut, it'd be super dry.

It held at around 250. And, I was using some Cherry wood chunks. Although I'm sure about any wood would be fine.

The flanks stayed on an hour longer, btw. They were good, too. Like a mini-brisket.

Yup, those burgers are just like a flat meatloaf. I've done meatloafs quite a few times and they always turn out great. Make great sandwiches for the week also!

Smoking hamburgers might be a nice variation and I didn't recall it being posted on. ' 02 was before my time here. Sounds like a great burger, but not a quick burger. What internal temp did you take them to ?

I have done them, some years ago, in my Cookshack, and they were very tastey.

Paul

I didn't measure the temp inside. I just let them get cooked. They were well done. But, they had enough fat that rendered to make them stay somewhat juicy.

I picked up a trick from steve raichlen that helps with burgers drying out when you cook them good, put a 1/4 inch pat of butter inside the ground beef and fold it over into a burger shape. The butter melts as it cooks and keeps it juicy, we put roasted garlic in there too with the butter sometimes. Also, a quick sear either on the stove or grill for about 30 seconds each side of the burger before going into the cooker will help them cook faster.

Ooooh Butter and garlic ?!?! How about adding some sliced mushrooms before that fold? I'm gunna try that for sure!

For burgers, or other beef things that are quick (Spiedies)...I might even use a LITTLE mesquite.

Tried em lastnight. Wonderful! Didn't even need the butter...which melted and left a little pocket of butter for a "suprise". Probably didn't need it since I used 80% lean.

Sometimes the butter's not necessary to keep them juicy, but if you flavor it up w/ garlic, onions, herbs, etc. it tastes better. Another deal I do is stick 2 or 3 of those frozed jalapeno poppers in the middle of burger, cuz their frozen they cook right and taste good. Frozed cheese is also good to stuff them with. (in case you couldn't tell I'm a burger freak)

Back