smoked gouda

Andy SJ

noob here and have learned alot just reading the forums...success on 30 lbs shoulder, st. louis ribs, flank (direct) on the wsm...just wanted to share that possibly the best thing to come off this thing is smoked gouda. bought some youngish gouda, cubed it, threw it in a french onion soup bowl for an hour or two whilst other stuff was smokin and man was it good...gonna try goat cheese at the end of this brisket cook tonite...cheers all!
don't know how to attach pics or i would...tech stoopid here

Have been trying various things to cold smoke over the last few months and I have to say that Gouda and Cheddar are the two that lend themselves the very best for smoking. Have had a real adventure trying various items to try. Give it a try, the results are amazing!

Russ

Smoking cheese is best done when outside temps are cool or cold. If the cooker temp gets above 90 or so the cheese will start to sweat (melt). Tough to do in the summer. Have you seen this
Smoked cheese I know this post is too late but maybe next time. How did it come out? (The cheese and the brisket?)

I think Andy was going for melted smoked Gouda as he cubed it and put it in a ceramic bowl. I bet it was awesome with some toasted baguette slices.

thanks for the link...that was a much more sophisticated technique than i've done. i essentially hot smoked mine at bbq temps to take advantage of extra room in the cooker. got quite a bit more of a dark brown smoke color than the pics in the link. have had the cubed cheese (more surface area) on for two hrs to no ill effect. will try some other cheeses as suggested! sliced rounds of young goat cheese (chevre) mixed with chives from the garden was good as well.
the brisket came out great btw. was an 8.3 lb choice flat from costco. dry rubbed some hrs prior and didn't foil. just repurposed the last of the leftovers warmed thru w/some chili powder and a bit of water to put into quesadillas. good stuff.
thanks again to all you guys that post on here, i have learned a lot from you all!
cheers

Back