Smoked Country Stule ribs

D Reinknecht

TVWBB Member
Hello All,
I am planning on smoking some country style ribs this weekend. I have tried them in the past using the BRITA rub, and found them tough and a little dry. I have smoked baby backs, whole chickens, kielbasi, etc with much success, but those darn country ribs always toughen up on me. Should I try putting them in foil after 3 or so hours for an hour and see if that makes them moister and more tender?
This forum has given me great advice in the past and many thanks for that!
Just wondering if someone has some tips.
Have a great Weber weekend!
David

If they're getting tough and dry they're likely cooking too long. Depending on the 'ribs'---thickness and from what part they were cut, and cook temp--3 hours might be all they need total. CSRs can be cut from butt (and may not be all that well-marbled depending on the part they were cut from and their thickness), the blade end of the loin, or the blade end nearest the center of the loin--these tend to be rather lean.

Try 2 hours, then 1 hour in foil with a juice addition. Then test for tenderness. Return to the cooker if they need more time, foiled, or return to the cooker unfoiled if they're pretty much done and just need some cooker time for texture/exterior flavor. Alternatively, finish by grilling direct for a few min/side.

Many thanks for the advice!
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll give a go tomorrow. Have a great weekend.
David

The "Country Style Ribs" I get around here are more like pork chops. I do them on the grill, medium to medium/high heat. Usually takes 30 minutes or less. Sauce the last 10 minutes or so, if you like.

I've never found them to be suitable for a low/slow cook, and over cooking them on the grill will result in the tough, dry condition you describe.

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
The "Country Style Ribs" I get around here are more like pork chops. I do them on the grill, medium to medium/high heat. Usually takes 30 minutes or less. Sauce the last 10 minutes or so, if you like.

I've never found them to be suitable for a low/slow cook, and over cooking them on the grill will result in the tough, dry condition you describe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Important to note there are various types of "country style ribs". Some, as noted earlier, are cut from the shoulder; some are from the loin. The darker colored, more marbled ones can more readily be done low & slow, where as the lighter pink, loin ones are more like boneless pork chops-- very lean and easily dried out if over-cooked or cooked too long at too low a temp.

I cooked the ribs as advised and they came out pretty good. I dedicded to pick off the meat and shred it by hand and then mixed it with a carolina style BBQ sauce. Best darn BBQ pork I have had in a while, and the wife loved it.

Thanks Again - This forum is great!
David

Back