Smoked Chicken Wings

Shawn Woerlein

TVWBB Member
Well, I went to the store today with all intentions of cleaning up my smoker when I got home from yesterday's rib smoke. Anyways, there was a good price on packages of fresh chicken wings, so I thought "Hmmmm.....dinner time!". Now normally when I do my wings over smoke I always use a secret recipe we call "Garlic Oregano". I didn't have time to make up the sauce today so I just decided to make up a wing rub and then use standard Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce to finish. Normally I make my own buffalo sauce out of Red Hot and Butter (along with some seasonings), but being lazy and not much time decided to use Pete's.

I decided to use the rub that CA posted on the Virtual Weber Bullet Forums entitled Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from the book Smoke & Spice . Of course tweaking it to meet my taste and desire
icon_smile.gif
The recipe seen in that book, I tweaked it to:

5 Tablespoons paprika
1 3/4 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon Ground Red Pepper (love ground red over cayenne)
1 teaspoon finely crushed oregano

I sprinkled the rub over both sides of the wings and it looked something like this:

IMG_1714.jpg

I fired up the smoker with 1/2 ring of unlit Kingsford and started 1 starter full. My good friend Phil had brought me some trimmings from his apple trees earlier this year and it was finally dried out enough to use. So a nice chunk of apple on the hot coals and we were ready for the chicken.

They went on with a smoker temp of 250. The smoker finally settled in at 239 and held until the wind picked up outside. At that point I set the smoker in at 249 and held it there for 2 hrs until the wings were ready. I took the internal temp of one of the larger wing pieces and it read 160F.

Normally when I smoke wings I will pull them off and eat. I decided to use the tips by CA and lower the wings over the hot coals for a few mins to crunch up the skin. Glad I did. Really liked the outcome of doing this.

The wings were very tender and juicy and just the right amt of smoke. The skin crunched up considerably by putting over the direct coals for a min or two on each side. I was suprised how well it worked.

Anyways...the pics
icon_smile.gif

Internal shot of the wings

IMG_1719.jpg

Full plate off of the smoker

IMG_1720.jpg

Great Color

IMG_1722.jpg

Sauced Close Shot

IMG_1726.jpg

Ready For Dinner
icon_smile.gif

IMG_1724.jpg

Overall I like this version of rub for wings. I think next time I will add a little more oregano, ground red pepper, and re-add the onion powder that the original recipe called for. If I enhance the garlic, onion, oregano.......that would be a great rub for my Garlic Oregano sauced wings
icon_smile.gif
Man I'm full!

Most excellent looking smoked wings there Shawn. I'd like a plate of them too. Great job and pics.
icon_cool.gif

I'm watching re-runs of my Phillies playing in the WS on the MLB Network. A plate of your wings would be most welcomed right now.

They look mighty tasty. Good job!

Sounds like you cooked them right, and they certainly look right, even from here in Buffalo. nice work!

I haven't had much luck smoking wings but I have a pretty high standard and think they aren't worth eating unless the skin is extra crispy (no sense sacrificing you cardio-vascular system for soggy wings). Some combo of smoking and high heat are definitely required, I just haven't hit it right yet.

I gotta ask...blue cheese or ranch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ranch Dressing. I was out of blue cheese and didnt' feel like runnin back to the store Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe, I got an eye for the stuff. I don't mind ranch so much with bbq wings (especially since I have a decent homemade recipe) but get pissed when a place tries to serve it with fried hot wings.

I'd be happy to post either recipe (blue cheese or ranch) if you would like to try them. You cant beat a homemade dressing to go with some wings made with tlc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ranch Dressing. I was out of blue cheese and didnt' feel like runnin back to the store Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe, I got an eye for the stuff. I don't mind ranch so much with bbq wings (especially since I have a decent homemade recipe) but get pissed when a place tries to serve it with fried hot wings.

I'd be happy to post either recipe (blue cheese or ranch) if you would like to try them. You cant beat a homemade dressing to go with some wings made with tlc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to see the dressing recipes

I hear you on the dressing. Blue cheese is my choice for sure. Would love to see your recipes. Always looking for something to try!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

... I'd be happy to post either recipe (blue cheese or ranch) if you would like to try them. You cant beat a homemade dressing to go with some wings made with tlc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Both please.
icon_wink.gif

And yes, those wings look GREAT!

Bill

Back