Smoked chicken thighs w/pics

That looks great Craig! Didn't know if it could be done at lower temps. I unintentionally lowered your rating 'cause I didn't know how it worked .. Clicked in the middle thinking it would bring up a rating window. If anyone wants to rate it, click on the stars where you want the rating to be.

Sorry,

Bill

Well, I just fired up my laptop and bumped it up a bit anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif
So, how were they???

Bill

Craig, The chicken looks great. I like the verticle smoker too. Looks like it would hold a good amount of meat.
icon_cool.gif

I want some of that,looked great. Did you use the roadside marinade just without oil? Also in the wsm would you turn once and how long would you smoke? Thanks Ed

ED,

That's right, no oil. Wish i would have thought of that years ago.

No need to flip or turn. Using the vertical smoker in the pics requires me to rotate the shelves since there is no water in the pan.

If I had done them in the wsm, I wouldn't need to rotate them at all.

The vertical smoker has a few hot spots whereas the wsm does not. I used this smoker because it needed to be cleaned out soon, and both wsm's are already ready to go!

Call me lazy.

Yeah, but craig does lots of briskets. They don't stay sad too long...

Chicken looks great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Yeah, but craig does lots of briskets. They don't stay sad too long...

Chicken looks great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, the wsm's stay busy. Actually, all except the offset get regular workouts.

It's a smokey mountain great outdoors.

I bought it at Lowes before i bought the wsms.

Its useful for some things, but not for long or high heat cooks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
Here is a variation of the popular roadside chicken.

I smoked these w/cherry strips (my brothers pre-kitchen cabinet mistakes) and in my jerky smoker.

I did leave pics of the wsm's in there.

Bryan S- great advice on leaving out the oil when marinating. I've been a knucklehead all this time......

http://www.associatedcontent.com/slideshow/6129/cherry_...n_thighs.html?cat=22 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow that looks great. Could you post the exact recipe you used?

I don't measure, but this would have been about a cup and a half of cider vinegar.

The seasonings would be approximate, and this is for 6 lbs of boneless thighs.

1- tbl paprika
1- tbl pepper
1- tbl salt
1- tbl crushed red pepper flakes (can sub cayenne)
1-tsp granulated garlic
1- tsp onion powder
1 squirt of dijon.
A pinch of dried basil.

You can substitute more or less of anything, as the key is the vinegar.

I make a smaller batch to put in a drizzle bottle (the drizzle bottle was in the bowl in the first pic. I just perforate the top a bit more so that the shake peppers and seasonings can escape in the drizzle) for when I am grilling pieces on the kettle. I'll marinate, and then drizzle once while they are on.

I do put some oil in the drizzle batch.

The thighs are better smoked than grilled IMO. No drizzle needed if smoked.

Just an FYI for everyone using Perdue Tender and Tasty varieties of chicken... they have been injected, and adding salt may make it too salty...

Back