Smoked Chicken Salad

Chuck_H

TVWBB Member
Has anyone made smoked chicken salad? If so, what type of chicken did you use? What did you use for seasoning? I saw someone eating some chicken salad for lunch and thought it would be a good idea to smoke some chicken and make some chicken salad to see how it tastes.

Hey Chuck!

I've put some thought into this as well, but haven't done it yet.

My thought is to smoke chicken thighs with your favorite wood, but only season salt/pepper. No marinate, no brine, no sauce. Then, just use your favorite chicken salad recipe.

My thoughts are to have great chicken salad you have to start with great chicken, then everything else you put in the salad plays off the chicken. So I say go ahead and season / rub / brine / marinade it however you want, then when you put the salad together just add whatever will go with it. If you've never tried the roadside chicken recipe before you should give it a go, it makes excellent chicken salad. HTH

I smoked some chicken over mesquite and we used the leftovers in a chicken salad...it was very tasty! The smoked flavor gave it a really nice added flavor.

The recipe I used has pineapple chunks, celery, toasted almonds, and water chestnuts, along with mayo and a little curry powder. Its a good hearty recipe.

yeah, I've done lots of it and smoked turkey salad too

I make it with Bryan S Chipotle Mayo , fine diced celery, onion/green onion fresh ground coriander, cumin and pepper and put it in bread with cheese l&t .... killer sammich

Chuck,

I haven't done chicken salad yet, but I have done smoked turkey salad with leftover turkey that I smoked. I suppose it would be similiar. I just chopped up the remaining meat, put it in a bowl with just a little sprinkle of your favorite rub, then mix it with celery and mayo. It came out great. I also make turkey soup. That comes out awesome. Make your own stock with the bones, then strain and mix in carrots, celery, onion and wild rice. It comes out awesome.

Go for it. I make it with extras all the time ( and there's always extras). Try adding a little tarragon with grapes or juice from a lemon, dill, and some very small pieces of a granny smith apple.

Yep, make it all the time...most excellent. I just use a standard mayo dressing with whatever I feel like adding at the time...a touch of wasabi is great.

Just about any chicken that we do on either the kettle or the WSM gets turned into chicken salad if there are leftovers...Always extremely good!!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

I usually opt to smoke a whole turkey breast just for making turkey salad out of a few times a year. Using smoked turkey or chicken really takes the ordinary salad to a whole new level. Yes to the Road Side chicken making excellent chicken salad as well with a little vinegar kick to it. HTH
Here's a link to a thread on the subect from awhile back. Might give you some ideas. Smoked Turkey salad

I take any leftover thighs off the smoker, shread it all up and make my salad that way. I add a little bbq sauce, a few pieces of lettuce and a slice of tomatoe.

I used smoked chicken and do all the stuff below except coriander and cumin; the Irish Guy uses italian seasoning with sharp provolone...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
yeah, I've done lots of it and smoked turkey salad too

I make it with Bryan S Chipotle Mayo , fine diced celery, onion/green onion fresh ground coriander, cumin and pepper and put it in bread with cheese l&t .... killer sammich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I make it frequently. My wife likes white meat, so I use breasts, or more often, just the tenders. I vary the rub. Sometimes various bbq rubs, sometimes cajun spices meant for gumbo, etc. Sometimes...both.

Then, put whatever you like in the mix.

Oh yes, and it is delish. If you like chicken soup, don't forget to save your smoked carcasses and scraps to simmer for a soup base. Smoked chicken soup is awesome too!

Back