smoked barracuda fish dip and grilled hanger steak

Went fishing down in Panama City last week and caught a whole mess of fish. The guide said barracuda was good to eat, but couldn't find anything about it so I cooked like a salmon. Lightly seasoned with s&p then put on the cedar plank for 25 mins or so around 400. Then I made a dip out of it by breaking it up and mixing in equal parts mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream. seasoned that with fresh pressed garlic and s&p. Served it on chips. Then I did some corn in foil on grill, green beans on stove top, and grilled up some hanger steak seasoned with heavy s&p bought from local high end butcher shop called the spotted trotter.

Hey Hamilton....pass me a plate? Very nice cooks. How did you make the dip? You nailed the steak....nicely done!

Barracuda? Good to eat? That's surprising. I was under the impression they were too bony...learn something new everyday! Had I known that I would have speared a bunch of them while scuba diving in NC!

tasted great!! Everyone besides our guide has been skeptical- glad I tried it. The dip was the fish flaked up and the mixture of sour cream, mayo, cream cheese, garlic, salt pepper I mentioned at the top of the post.

Hamilton, in '96 we were in Cancun fishing in the Gulf for 'cuda...
caught many small (16 to 24") and one 48" (my trophy:D )
the First Mate (spoke English) said the large is tasty, the small ones are sour.
Left him with the small ones for bait and took along with us the 4 footer...
the hotel chef cleaned it, fileted it and served us our catch for dinner.
Asked how he did, said he broiled it with garlic, butter and some Cajun seasonings...
Looked Fantastic & It Was GREAT! I can almost taste it and that was 17 yrs ago!
Haven't enjoyed it since....

Your Cuda looks GREAT! What size was the fish?
And your hanger looks PERFECT! Is it widely available in your area?

Back