Smoked Almonds

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
3lbs raw almonds tossed in some butter, ground red pepper flakes, Cajun Seasoning, and granulated garlic. Then on the WSM running at 275*F for 2.5 hours.
IMG_2000.jpg

Off the WSM and seasoned with some more Cajun Seasoning and granulate garlic. Sending these to my Dad for Christmas
IMG_2001.jpg

Tossed on some chicken thighs and andouille sausage for some gumbo I plan on making tomorrow.
IMG_2004.jpg

Yes it is!
Awwwww! I have never seen FRESH andouille here.... always smoked (have some in the freezer for New Years Day)...

so weird how stuff is available in some areas of these states and others are, like... Huh?!!
Tris should be available EVERYWHERE....
EVERYONE should be able to buy fresh bratwurst ANYTIME...
Pork steaks should be sold on EVERY corner in EVERY city...
and,
EVERY beer EVER made should be available for EVERY beer lover....

just my thoughts.:p

Love the almonds, love the gumbo prep and I love the back and forth! I'm laughing my a$$ off right now!

Been meaning to try to smoke almonds since i first saw it on this page. Thanks for the reminder. Looks stellar John

3lbs raw almonds tossed in some butter, ground red pepper flakes, Cajun Seasoning, and granulated garlic. Then on the WSM running at 275*F for 2.5 hours.

IMG_2000.jpg

Off the WSM and seasoned with some more Cajun Seasoning and granulate garlic. Sending these to my Dad for Christmas
IMG_2001.jpg

I just picked up 3# of almonds from Costco and am going to try this tomorrow for the first time. How did you lay out the almonds in the WSM? Did you smoke them in the pan in the first photo and just mix/rotate them during the smoke? They look great and I've been meaning to do this for a couple years now and your pics pushed me over the edge! :D

I used the pan in the top pic to smoke them. The pan is one of those grilling woks with the holes in the bottom. I just placed the pan on a perforated pizza pan so I wouldn't lose too many almonds when I stirred them which i did every 30 minutes. When you take the almonds off taste them for seasoning, a lot of the seasoning comes off when you stir them. The almonds also won't be very crunchy either until they completely cool, they will still have a little of that raw nut feel when you eat them. Just be patient let them cool completely and then dig in!!!!

I used the pan in the top pic to smoke them. The pan is one of those grilling woks with the holes in the bottom. I just placed the pan on a perforated pizza pan so I wouldn't lose too many almonds when I stirred them which i did every 30 minutes. When you take the almonds off taste them for seasoning, a lot of the seasoning comes off when you stir them. The almonds also won't be very crunchy either until they completely cool, they will still have a little of that raw nut feel when you eat them. Just be patient let them cool completely and then dig in!!!!

Thanks for the info! I'll be trying the almonds and some salmon a little later today. I'll report back later with the results.

Back