Smoked a brisket today........possibly left it in a bit to long?

TimO

I smoked a 4lb flat today using the high heat method. It turned out ok, but it seemed to be more like a pot roast. I checked at 190 and 195 and it still didn't past the fork test. I left it on about 15 more minutes and then had to foil it for an hour until dinner was ready. Has anyone else ran into this with the high heat method?

CIMG00631.jpg

CIMG00641.jpg

CIMG00651.jpg

could be carry over cooking.

during high heat cooking, the exterior will be hotter than the interior. when the meat is removed from the grill, the hot exterior will try to reach equilibrium with the relatively cooler interior, causing it to warm even off the grill.

when I do a 1.5" thick steak I usually pull it 10-15* shy of my done temp because I know it'll get there during the rest.

If you think this is the reason for your overdone brisket, the solution is fairly simple, allow the brisket to bleed off some heat for a few minutes before wrapping tightly.

the pics look great. what do you mean by pot roast ? if you mean it shredded then beisinger has the answer. on a regular sized brisket i'll take it to soft but on the smaller ones i would take it close to temp as mentioned.

It wasn't too bad.....I just thought the texture wasn't what it should be. For some reason I didn't have much of a smoke ring either.

Back