Smokeboost with Bear Mountain pellets

Matt Q

TVWBB Fan
So I tried Bear Mountain pellets for the first time and had my first issue with smokeboost. The temp would not drop lower than 230 degrees (I had smoke boost running for 45 minutes).

Had you used smokeboost with Weber pellets and how were you measuring pit temp?.

I used smokeboost for some Jerky. I put my Maverick pit probe in to monitor the pit temp. The Weber controller does not give temp when smokeboost is selected. They advertise a temp range of 165 to 200 with SB on. My Maverick told me the low temp was 175 for a brief period and multiple long excursions above 225 - not impressed. I was using Pit Boss pellets but I now have a bag of Weber pellets so when I load them in I'll do another run with smokeboost to see if I get different results.

I made smoked queso today and used smoke boost for awhile. Every now and then the app gets tricked and you can see what the integrated probe reads vs a pit probe. Mine was at 180. Pit probe measured 200

I made smoked queso today and used smoke boost for awhile. Every now and then the app gets tricked and you can see what the integrated probe reads vs a pit probe. Mine was at 180. Pit probe measured 200

Now that's really interesting. I may move my experiment up to tomorrow.

I sometimes use an ambient probe but didn’t for my cook yesterday. After about 5 minutes on smokeboost the temps began climbing and the grill said it needed to cool down to use smokeboost. It showed the current temp as it was “cooling.” Temp didn’t come down for about 40 minutes. Of interest, I had a second temp issue when cooking zucchini at 375. Temps ended up spiking up to 470. First time I have had temps do this in a very long time. Only differences I can see are (1) Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets were used, and (2) I cleaned out the auger before cooking.

Back