smoke wood?

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
I'm looking for some smoke wood and found a local place that offers the following options:

-applewood seasoned split $40 per 20 bushel apple bin
-rounds of green applewood (unsplit) $45 per face cord avg.
-mixed hardwood $35 per 20 bushel bin- seasoned and split (choke cherry and sugar maple)

I don't mind splitting the wood, and I would cut any of the options up into chunk size anyways for the WSM. Suggestions? A face cord sounds like that would last a long time. Not sure if choke cherry would make for a good smoking wood. Thanks in advance!

The seasoned split applewood is the only one of those options I would take. I don't know how much wood fits into a 20 bushel apple bin, but that's probably all the smoke wood you'll ever need for about $40.

Dan, I find nice bags of chunk Hickory & Mesquite at my local "Lowes". If you have a Bass pro or Cabelas in your area they sell Cherry and Pecan and others. Try any fishing/hunting/camping outdoor type store or other hardware stores. Good luck and happy smoking.

I rarely buy wood since I have access to numerous cherry,apple,oak and sugar maple trees and it's really not that hard to cut and split it into chunks. The mixed hardwood seems reasonably priced and maple is great for smoking. My SIL gets face cords of mixed hardwood, mostly red oak and maple, for $80 dollars so if none of my maples need trimming I raid her wood pile.

Back