Smoke Wood...

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
I have been using the wood chunks that walmart sells. Does anyone else use "store bought" wood or do you order online or perhaps cure your own? I am asking because I have a suspicion that the wally world stuff may be "green" wood and causing heavy creosote build-up in my smokers.

i use the wally world hickory all the time with no problems. i have ordered cherry wood from smokingliscious. i also just got a bag of apple chunks from a local taylor's do-it center, and ordered some pecan from ebay. i haven't used the pecan yet but it looks pretty well seasoned.

edit...i have also used the big huge bags of hickory that home depot sells for 12 dollars. that's from charbroil and it was good seasoned wood too.

In a pinch I've used the Hickory and Mesquite that Walmart sells. Nothing to write home about but not bad either. Good value for the price. Never found any "green" wood.

I too purchased from Smokinlicious.com and liked their product. Now I buy from The woodshed in the OC, CA. Love his wood and you cannot beat the price, $24 for 30 lbs of wood.

I don't use Hickory much, but keep a 10 lb. bag around. I get mine at Lowe's for a few bucks, It's not bad quality.

Tony, I was buying wood on line at one time. Now, I barter for wood. BBQ for smoke wood. Nice trade off.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have been using the hickory from WalMart for years without any problems besides consistency with the chunk size.

Fruit woods I get locally from farmers.

I get mine from a local tree company. They like to bbq so I bring them some bbq and I can get all the wood I want. I would check in your area ans maybe you can find the same.

Tony-

I buy hickory at the grocery store, and I buy Apple, Cherry, and other woods at a local Barbeques Galore. They stock a good variety of woods chunks and chips, if you have a store nearby and can't find an orchard. Good luck!

Back