Smoke wood with lump????

Steve Forwe

TVWBB Fan
Proud new owner of a WSM, and also new to the board. Haven't used it yet because I'm still waiting on parts to complete the mods. Should be able to do a smoke this week end. This site is the best place I have found for advice and tips on smoking. I have a question regarding the use of lump(wood) charcole. I have never used it before so I'm concerned if I will stil need to use smoke wood or not. Thanks in advance.

Welcome Steve,

I'd love to give you a firmer answer but it varies. Lump can give off smoke that imparts flavor.

If you use fully lit lump you will likely still want to add some smoke wood.

If you use some unlit lump, depending on the manner in which you use it, it can give off a lot of smoke. I do this intentionally with Maple leaf lump whenever I use it because the smoke is so excellent.

You will be certain to find some lump smoke unappealing to you if you try a few brands.

Steve,
Welcome to the smoke house.

Yes is the answer to your question.
Plant some trees in the yard so you don't have to pay for the wood all of the time.
I had three apple trees, now I have two. I will need to plant another one.

You don't have to use lump, but whatever you decide to use start it without girl scout water(lighter fluid)

What is your plan for the first cook?
What mods are you doing?

Have you checked out the side dish area yet?
There are some really good eats there.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome fellas. The first smoke will be a brisket as requested by the better half. I will not be using lighter fluid. I have a Weber charcoal starter. The mods that I have completed so far are the extra grate in the charcoal bowl, added horizontal handles to the center section, added the foil wrapped 14" flower pot base to the water pan. Waiting on my Trend thermometer and the eyelets. They both are supposed to be delivered today. I haven't checked out the side dish area yet, but I will.

Back