Smoke with lump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
Today I got home from work and decided to smoke some whole chicken legs at high temp. Set up WSM with foiled dry pan. Decided to use lump for the first time in the WSM. I have a bag of Cowboy brand lump. I fired up 1 chimney full, put that in WSM and put a chimney full more on top. I noticed alot of smoke as the new coals started. I decided to put the WSM together and wait until temp hit 300-325. Took about 10 minutes. Still had alot of smoke coming out of WSM. I decided to put legs on and not add any smoke wood. My theory was I was already producing smoke from the hardwood lump and chicken needs less smoke. Smoked for about 45-50 minutes, instant read therm showed 180 in the largest leg. They looked great. I had rubbed half and marinated the other half in a Teryaki marinade. Took a piece off the outside and it had a good smoke flavor. Anyone else try this?

Steve....

I quit adding smoke wood to chickens/turkeys a couple of years ago. One reason is my family is not real crazy about smoked poultry but they don't mind the lump flavor.

Another reason, I saw more and more comp cooks using strictly charcoal or lump with no added smoke wood. I figure they can't be all wrong!

Kevin,

When you say "lump flavor" I understand now. It's a much different smoke flavor than I am used to. It's very light. I am surprised concidering the volumes of smoke that was being made.
Since you have no control over what kind of wood is in the mix does the taste change with each smoke or does the change to charcoal make all hardwood charcoal about the same in flavor?

Steve....

NO idea as I use only 1 brand...Royal Oak. It is the only stuff that is available and inexpensive.

I haven't noticed any change from bag to bag...but I also believe that smoke is smoke...with a few exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back