"Smoke & Spice" Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Flanagan

TVWBB Member
Not sure if this is already known but I thought I would mention it. I just got Smoke & Spice (Revised Edition, 2003) and noticed in the Vertical Water Smokers section, p10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Charcoal models fluctuate in temperature ... You can mitigate the effect by lighting only a small circle of coals in the center, and allowing them to ignite the others over time, but you still get temperature variations... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the Minion Method?? They should have called it as such. I think too they should have addressed the WSM, as a number of the problems they refer to (such as temperature variatons) are simply not a concern on the WSM.

Hopefully I purchased the book through TVWB. I clicked the links on the shopping page on TVWB, but then purchased the soft-cover edition (hard-cover not available, and twice the price) and got Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces at the same time.

Sean;
If you like learning about the different ingredients, spices, etc. and making your own rubs, bastes and sauces you should enjoy Paul Kirk's book. I bought it approximately three months ago. I have now have many of the spices he mentions in his book. Sometimes I feel lazy and don't feel like doing the scratch rubs. However, I can control the amount of salt, heat, etc.

Obviously a rip-off...this is MM to the "T" or "MM" if you will. I have filed for proper litigation to take place and have the named changed to "The Minion Method"!

Aside from not having a WSM he does have a nack for heisting other peoples proceses!

Take 'er easy, there Greg! I have that book and will cut them a lot of slack as I have learned alot from it. It inspired my BBQ interest which untimately put me on the path from Brinkmann Smoke 'N Pit to WSM! A good thing, right?

Rodgers,

Yeah, I thought I would just get the first two books Chris shows on the shopping page. I figured he listed them in his order of preference, and based on my research on this forum those two looked to be pretty popular. I knew I wanted Smoke & Spice, and figured I'd order the next one as well to help justify the cost of having them shipped to Australia! I'd love to order other stuff, but Amazon will only ship the books. I do think there should be a way of knowing that TVWB is getting the kickback though. Maybe with only two books it's not much, but you want to do what you can. Especially as I'm located in Australia I don't get many chances.

From what I have already read I think the Championship Barbecue Sauces will be a great resource to add focus to creating my own sauces. It's a great format, which focuses on teaching you how to fish... and then gives you the fish as well. I particularly like how he lists the different bases for things, and the general proportional order of ingredients etc. One small complaint would be that in a book entitled Championship Babecue Sauces he should have a larger barbecue sauce section, and should consider leaving out the part saying the barbecue sauce isn't needed and doesn't make any difference. People didn't really buy a "Championship Barbecue Sauces" book to be told its all in the seasoning. ;-)

Please excuse my sarcasim...just kidding...not that hostile, unless I need to be!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back