Smoke ring question

Gregory

TVWBB Member
I just did a very successful PB/brisket smoke today for the 4th of July. I was pointing out to guests that the pink ring on the outside of the meat is the smoke ring. They asked what it was from and I said the pecan and apple wood I used. Someone thought it was just from the low and slow cooking with charcoals.

If I did the same cook without any wood, would that pink ring still be there or is it due to me using the pecan & apple pellets?

Yes I think there would be some smoke ring from just charcole. Smoke ring is the reaction between nitrates (wood ash from the fire) and myoglobin ( oxygen carrying protein in muscle tissue). Charcole contains some of these nitrates but (although Im not sure) perhaps in less amount.
Jim

I find that woods like hickory make a lighter ring and fruit woods like apple and guava wood make a darker red ring. It definately is a sign of low and slow.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

How do you like that guava wood..worth the $15 to get some here in the states? What meats do you like it with?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Kemp:
I find that woods like hickory make a lighter ring and fruit woods like apple and guava wood make a darker red ring. It definately is a sign of low and slow.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used apple on my ribs Monday and the ring was a very pink color. Cherry is a little darker, but I find that Mesquite and hickory are very red for me.

Did spares with Peach wood. Subtle, pink tint but not really a ring.

I always get a pronounced ring with cherry and hickory.

A guy at work wouldn't touch my brisket because he thought the smoke ring was raw meat. I asked him to explain how meat can cook inside out if that was the case. Oh well, his loss.

Back