Smoke now, serve later

T Tills

I going tent camping this weekend, and because of the proximity of bears (and beers) and space considerations, I cannot bring the smoker and BBQ at the site.

I'd still like to have Ribs, and thought I'd smoke them up ahead of time and finish on the grill about a day later.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to best accomplish this. Maybe pull them off the smoker before they're done and do a slow re-heat at camp, or wrap them in foil, or whatever. I'd love to hear from you.

I've not had a lot of success with ribs, but we did have a stellar Rib day a couple months ago when we were brewing, it would be awesome to re-create that meal.

Thanks All

TnT

My first thought is to cook them all the way, Food Saver them, re-heat using hot water in pot at campsite, or whatever method you have, then toss on grill.

Now if I hadn't had so many beers tonight I could probably come up with something better.....
icon_wink.gif

Cook on the WSM till almost or till just done but not fall off the bone done. You'll want to cool down quickly, to stop them from cooking. Once cold wrap up good and frige. Then reheat on the grill too finish when camping.
icon_wink.gif

I have not reheated ribs, but I think following Bryan's advice is good. I would probably throw them on the grill wrapped in foil for a little bit to let them warm up. Then I would unwrap and let them firm up a bit, applying sauce if needed towards the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Tills:
If anyone has any thoughts on how to best accomplish this. Maybe pull them off the smoker before they're done and do a slow re-heat at camp, or wrap them in foil, or whatever. I'd love to hear from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope its not too late... been away. I do this all the time. You can smoke the ribs and warm `em up on the grill over indirect heat for about 25 minutes, just wrap them in foil. I actually think ribs taste better the next day because the sauce gets more into the meat.

I do this fairly often the way the KenP said. I pull them from the smoker. Wrap them in a few sheets of saran wrap, then vacuum pack them with the foodsaver.

The saran wrap is to keep the ends of the rib bones from poking holes in the vacuum bag. You can just clump the saran around the ends of the ribs if you want, just cover any sharp bones

Once they are vacuum packed, I chill and then freeze them. Sticking super hot ribs straight into the freezer can melt your ice cream (ask me how I know that).

Reheat them in a pot of boiling water.

I've tried allot of variations, here's the ones that work:

Packing them in BBQ sauce
Saucing and searing them before packing
Pre cutting all the ribs
Fast chilling with salt and ice (after packed)
Only chill the ribs rather than freeze if you're eating them soon

Here's the things that didn't work well:

Slightly Undercooking (boiling water didn't finish the cook well)
Stacking several rib halves in a single vacuum bag (too long to thaw into the middle)

Back