Smoke Flavor Cleanliness

I posted this in charcuterie as we'll but thought it might get more views and input here....apologize if I'm breaking any forum rules?
Ok so here goes...neighbor and I have been making bacon like crazy. I have access to bellies and curing ingredients at work all the time. Our bacon comes out awesome just about every time but I recently gave some pink salt to a local restaurant owner and he made his own bacon as we'll and it just seemed to have a cleaner smoke flavor. More refined if you will.
Here's how we do it:
Landman black dog side box smoker
Dry cure per Bob's bacon recipe
Smoke low and long until bellies hit 150...usually 5-7 hours
Fire source: usually start with a couple briquettes and then continually feed apple or wood of choice.
Chill in bag in ice bath and relax in fridge for a couple days

How can we "clean" up our smoke flavor? Is it a poor practice to use wood the whole time? Should we light a couple briquettes and then use smoke wood on top of he briquettes?
Looking to really up our game and take our bacon to the next level.

Has anyone ever aged their bellies in the fridge for a couple days after washing cure off and before smoking?

Just curious : how do " they " do it? Do you have any idea what might account for their more refined smoke flavor? Different smoker ? Different wood ? You have a pretty good grasp of your process....seems to me the answer might be in theirs.

To me that smoker dont look like a stick burner, burn your wood down first in a fire pit then add it. That way you will have thin blue smoke.

To me that smoker dont look like a stick burner, burn your wood down first in a fire pit then add it. That way you will have thin blue smoke.
Grant were you able to look at the unit? I'm thinking you are on to something because we typically don't use but 2-3 briquettes and then just start putting apple chunks and burning them. I'm thinking we need to establish
Coals first like you are saying

Back