Smoke Daddy P. I. G.?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
My boys gave me a Smoke Daddy P. I. G. for my birthday. I think they saw me watching cold smoking videos on YouTube.

It came with two mounts, one that will fit my BGE and another that I can drill into my pellet to get more smoke.

I think I'll try cold smoking in the BGE, but to be completely honest this is not a gift I expected and I need to read up on how to use it.

Does anyone here have one?

Tips? Suggestions?

This puts out A LOT OF Smoke.

First experiment is five slices of pepper jack cheese. It's about 62F outside.

Just put a temp probe inside, and it's 81F.

So cold, cold smoking might need some ice inside.

Last edited:
Not sure what a WSM vent is. The outlet is one inch threaded. The kit I have also has a plate for the inlet of a Kamado like my BGE

20211105_083418.jpg

Here is an update.

In the instructions they suggest wood chips, yet I had none. They also mention pellets so I tried pellets, but not again.

First run it produced huge amounts of Thick White Smoke (TWS) and never burned hot enough to get Thin Blue Smoke (TBS).

First run I realized I started the coals in the ash base vs the bottom of the smoke generator.

After the first run I watched a few videos, read some write ups and tried again.

Second attempt:
coals started in a chimney, then put on the grate of the smoke generator and got it good and hot with the air pump going. I added about a cup of pellets. It went to TWS again and 30 mins later still was heavy smoke.

<WARNING> I removed the lid and it was like a Genie escaping with whoosh of blue flame. do this with caution...

I let it burn with the lid off for a while, and then returned the lid to the smoke generator to see if the smoke would stabilize. It did not. TWS returned and did not clear. I removed the lid and let the pellets torch out.

Second Attempt, part B:
There were still pieces of coal white hot at the bottom of the smoke generator. I did not have any wood chips, but I found two small chunks of maple and put them in the generator. I let them get started, and they begin to flame, then I put the lid on and put the pump on high. Within 5 to 10 mins ( I didn't time it or take pics as it was dark) the smoke thinned.

BGE top vent removed so it was wide open not trapping any smoke and smoke was coming out the top, just not massive amounts like the pics above. The two small chunks burned for about an hour and when opening the lid there was a fair amount of smoke inside, but thinner smoke. It was hard to gauge the color as it was dark.

I put two frozen salmon patties on the grate and smoked them for about 30 mins, and then finished them on the kettle.

Conclusions so far:

Hot coals are necessary to get things started.
Pellets make thick white smoke and lots and lots of it.
Wood Chunks seem to do better.
Third attempt will be with wood chips.

I also need to find the best place to drill into my pit boss so I can try it there.

Also looking at how I might modify my old grey 22 inch kettle to handle the smoke generator.

The “Whoosh of blue flame” seems a bit unnerving, the flame color alone speaks to un burned combustible gasses, something sounds odd and maybe something I will wait to fool with.

I'm 90% sure the pellets were to blame and they do not allow enough airflow. I also think I used too much "white hot" coal at the bottom getting them started.

Next time I'll use less coal, add a small amount of chips and see if I can get the smoke to stabilize.

I would like to learn how to get TBS out of this before I drill a hole in my pellet grill.

I thought a six month update would be worthwhile, and I'll add some pics.

I've learned a lot about how to use the smoke daddy on my BGE. I recently acquired a WSK E6 I need to adapt a fitting for that too as it has more real estate for a larger smoke.

I've learned how to achieve thin blue smoke, how to avoid thick white smoke, and also how to avoid yucky brown smoke.

key learnings for cold smoke
1. start with small pieces of fresh, not re-used lump. about 3/4ths of a cup volume. Get it lit very well, so it is glowing hot coal before adding any smoke wood.
2. don't use pellets.
3. commercial wood chips work well, but don't overload the smoke generator. a handful will easily last an hour.
4. run the fish tank air pump on high with the lid open until the TWS softens.
5. close the lid but leave the top vent wide open
6. dial the air pump volume down to a low setting. It doesn't take much to keep the smoke going.

I haven't done a long, long cold smoke. longest has been 2 hours, and I've been around watching it.

On some cooks when I'm transitioning from cold smoke to add heat, I add more chips to the smoke generator after heating lump in the smoker. on the large, BGE the restricted air opening with lit coal can settle in around 200F so it provides the heat needed to slow cook and the extra added smoke from the smoke generator.

My main success and use has been cold smoking tri-tip for an hour before smoking it a low temp.

I haven't tried cheese or salmon. They are on my to-do list.

I really want to build a smoker using that smoke generator or something similar.

There is a guy down the road from me a bit up north that belongs to a YouTube channel group called “my back yard”.
The easiest way to find him is search smoked oysters.

Other than his (janky :) )generator his set up looks stellar.
Glass case, smoke generator, electric heat w/controller unit and a recirculation fan.
He has several a couple shows on how to build the smoker and several on how to smoke with it.
You can do a lot with those smoke generators.

Me?
I’m a rookie and just use a stainless smoke tube :).

Tri tip tonight.

About an hour cold smoke with pecan.

20230219_153737.jpg20230219_153848.jpg

After an hour I lit some coal.

Its running about 170F. Slowly bringing temp up to about 200F.

20230219_165940.jpg

Back