Smoke Buffalo Wings

Bill Berg

TVWBB Fan
Halloween night we had some friends over so I cooked the up some smoked Buffalo wings. Smoked them at 250 lid for 2- hours, then crisped them up over direct, tossed in some Franks Red Haot sauce and butter. I sweated some minced garlic in the butter for a while before adding the Franks.

All set up;
Picture049.jpg

Crispy skin;
Picture050.jpg

I didn't get pics of them sauced as I may have been injured trying to get a picture of them. They went really fast.

I've yet to do wings yet on mine.

What type of wood did you use?

I was thinking about going apple, or maybe hickory.

Mitch, I used 2 small chunks of apple. I think the next time I do them...I'll cut it back to one chunk-o-wood. Apple and poultry is a nice combination.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michele p:
I need to remember this for our annual Super Bowl party. Looked great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need to remember this for every weekend! Looks fantastic. I haven't had good wings since I moved over here 4 years ago.

Alton Brown just recently did a big convoluted recipe of these using a jerry rigged steamer, that probably took an hour to make and a trip to the hardware store ( he's getting worse lately) then steaming them to render a lot of the fat, then finishing them in the oven, where the lower fat content cant produce billowing smoke.

I'm still perfectly happy using my deep fryer. Quick and simple, and crispy skin.

But I'm going to have to do a batch like these again soon.

So are we talking the Cardinals in the Super Bowl? Who would have thought???

Looks great Bill! I think that this is one of the best bang-for-your-buck cooks. The high surface area/volume ratio means that they absorb a lot of flavor...I've had professional chefs say that these are the best wings they ever had...cooked just this way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Alton Brown just recently did a big convoluted recipe of these using a jerry rigged steamer, that probably took an hour to make and a trip to the hardware store ( he's getting worse lately) then steaming them to render a lot of the fat, then finishing them in the oven, where the lower fat content cant produce billowing smoke.

I'm still perfectly happy using my deep fryer. Quick and simple, and crispy skin.

But I'm going to have to do a batch like these again soon.

So are we talking the Cardinals in the Super Bowl? Who would have thought??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I saw that episode and was taken aback at all the time and effort he expended to make a batch of chicken wings. Like they say -- it ain't rocket science!
icon_wink.gif

Bill -- your wings looked awesome, I will definetly have to do a batch of wings on my WSM!

I also saw that episode of good eats. I wondered why the heck anyone would want to put that much work into a batch of wings. In the time it took my starter coals to heat up I clipped the wings into pieces, rinsed them, threw them in a bag with some rub and tossed them on the smoker. The Buffalo sauce only takes a few minutes too.

Hey Bill that's how I do my wings only the sauce/glaze is honey. butter & Joe Perry's Boneyard Brew Hot Sauce.

wings3.jpg

Tom

I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of a smoked Buffalo Wing here in the Buffalo area. Now, that doesn't mean you can't smoke some wings and put some Buffalo Wing sauce on them, butt, they're not Buffalo Wings. They're smoked chicken wings with a Buffalo Wing sauce.
icon_cool.gif
Just razzin' ya.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

BTW, they all look real good!!
icon_cool.gif

Around here, I've been enjoying a recent evolution in the buffalo wing. A lot of joints will finish a deep fried wing on a grill. The grilling removes a bit of the oil, and bakes on the sauce. You get a drier finish, but they're crispy as can be and have grill flavor layered on. I haven't had much luck repeating it at home other than with extremely small batches.

I haven't had much luck smoking wings, they really need a lot of time at high heat to get 'em crispy.

Looks like you got them right, well done!

Hey Bill, I'll bet he serve them with ranch to boot!
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Around here, I've been enjoying a recent evolution in the buffalo wing. A lot of joints will finish a deep fried wing on a grill. The grilling removes a bit of the oil, and bakes on the sauce. You get a drier finish, but they're crispy as can be and have grill flavor layered on. I haven't had much luck repeating it at home other than with extremely small batches.

I haven't had much luck smoking wings, they really need a lot of time at high heat to get 'em crispy.

Looks like you got them right, well done!

Hey Bill, I'll bet he serve them with ranch to boot!
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ranch?? Ranch??? Uh, uh....no way. These things were sauced...served with a side of beer. That's it.

I too saw the good eats episode and was really taken aback. I can't imagine making (much less storing) that contraption. Not to mention cleaning it.

Anyone ever done wings on the WSM at say 350? Would that get crispier skin?

Back