smoke a corned beef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
Corned beef is 77 cents a pound (point cut) at Vons in my area. Is it good for Q? I'm afraid it might be too salty. If it is good for Q, do I treat it as a normal piece of brisket? How long in smoker?

Maybe refer to the pastrami cook on the website for finishing temps, other insights, etc.

I looked at the pastrami. It looks like the suggestion is easy on the wood, dry pan smoke. How about slow and low? Any one tried this?

Water was used in the pastrami cook described on the website. Would be advisable, too, to maintain the 250* called for. The curing process makes it cook faster than plain brisket, plus you're not really looking for the same texture as brisket. Follow that pastrami cook, it's a winner.

Sorry, I was tired when I got home last night, just scanned the page. I was looking at the temp chart, for some reason it looked like a dry pan, temps looked higher than normal. After a thorough reading I agree this looks like the right method. Will try and let ya know!

If your going to cook that corned beef as is, its going to be salty. So if thats what your looking for then go for it by all means.

If you want to tame it down a little, I would suggest you soak the corned beef is cold water for a few hours, changing out the water each hour to leach out some of the salt.

I cook one of these every 2 weeks or so and barely get a second round of sandwiches out of it! I rinse it off, dry it and give it a coat of spicy brown mustard (I know...), a good layer of coarse ground black pepper mixed with dark brown sugar and a dusting of red cayenne powder. We smoke it to 145 or so and let it sit in the fridge overnight (easier slicing) and watch it vanish on hard rolls.

Charles, That sounds good, kinda pastrami like. I bought 4 points. I was going to also do some 7 bone, so I will try your method on 1 of the 2 I do this weekend will let ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back