Smelly cryovac pork?

Kevin Baugher

Seriously. What should pork ribs smell like? I mean the cryovac (sp?) ribs, not completely fresh (I don't have much of an option). I took a rack of BB ribs out of the freezer to thaw this morning to cook tonight, but when I opened the pack (after thawing) it reeked. I know it isn't supposed to smell like that, so I threw it out. I am not willing to take any chances with my three year old son or pregnant wife. My question is...what should they smell like? They don't smell GREAT normally, but today they were heinous. Anyway, I am just curious. I am still angry about the lack of ribs, but we ended up having flanken ribs and fried rice, so it is okay!
icon_smile.gif

Please advise about the normal smell! Thanks!!!
By the way...I am fairly sure it isn't something I did. That was the first thing I thought of, too.

Meat should smell like, well, meat. It should not have any off odors if it's fresh. Now, I have had a slightly funky smell on occasion when opening a COV package but if I can rinse the meat, pat it dry and it smells OK I'll use it. Meat is not odorless, but it shouldn't turn your head when you open the pkg either, you did the right thing.

Try letting it rest on the counter for a few minutes. Usually, any smell will dissapate. If it does not, well then, you got yourself a bad piece of meat.

The suggestions listed above are all valid and worth trying. However, if you are still uncertain about the meat then get rid of it. Never take a chance and risk your health by cooking what may be a bad piece of meat.

Back