"Smart Living" Charcoal briquettes ?

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone ever heard of it before ????

I was in our local grocery store, picking up some pita and feta cheese for tonight's "Gyro" meat cook, and they had their seasonal display. Next to the Matchlight <ugh>, the lighter fluid, and the Kingsford, they had 18 lbs bags of this stuff for $4 (with your card !) The Kingsford was $8 !

I'm NOT a charcoal guru, and don't even have enough experience to determine what's good and what's bad....heck, I've never even tried lump ! But hey....for $4, I figured what the heck ! I do have a few bags of Rancher I bought last year when I read all the buzz here, but I don't want to waste in on a simple cook.

The only info on the bag besides the typical "moron" warnings (i.e., "Don't use indoors") was the following :

Made in USA

Distributed by :
American Sales Company
4201 Walden Ave
Lancaster, NY 14086

Copyright S and S Brands, Inc

Any opinions out there ? Should I go back with my Tundra and pick up a bunch <g> ???

Dean....

Dean, At $4 a bag, I'd be using it real soon to see if it's any good, so if it is, I could get some more while the getting is good.
icon_wink.gif
But that's just me, I'm a charcoal Nut Job.
icon_biggrin.gif

Dean, as Bryan said, try using it ASAP for both grilling and smoking. Here are some things to check when you do use it:

1) How long of a burn do you get from a chimney or a full ring of charcoal in comparison to your regular charcoal? Longer is better.

2) How much ash do you get. Less is good.

3) Does it spark excessively when you light it or blow ash around when you lift the lid on a windy day?

4) Does it burn hotter, cooler or the same as your normal briquettes. This isn't a huge issue, but will determine whether you need to adjust your lighting procedure and perhaps how much charcoal you use when grilling.

5) Is it a consistent product or does it have miscellaneous crap or excessive dust in it?

If it works as well as K or Rancher on these points, then you should get back and buy them out ASAP.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Dean, At $4 a bag, I'd be using it real soon to see if it's any good, so if it is, I could get some more while the getting is good.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

I figure I have nothing to lose ! If worse comes to worse, it'll cook burgers or something on the old Smokey Joe <g> !

By the way, this was the Giant Foods here in MD....don't know if Giant is up your way, but if so, you might want to check 'em out !

Thanks for the response...

Dean....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charcoal Nut Job, good one!! I was at the ocean a few weekends ago with the SO, and went into an Ace and found their charcoal on sale....cleaned out their shelf. Also found a lump charcoal(full circle brand?) at a Top Foods on the way and had to pick up a bag to try once we got back home. Do I need professional help???
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
Dean, as Bryan said, try using it ASAP for both grilling and smoking. Here are some things to check when you do use it:

1) How long of a burn do you get from a chimney or a full ring of charcoal in comparison to your regular charcoal? Longer is better.

2) How much ash do you get. Less is good.

3) Does it spark excessively when you light it or blow ash around when you lift the lid on a windy day?

4) Does it burn hotter, cooler or the same as your normal briquettes. This isn't a huge issue, but will determine whether you need to adjust your lighting procedure and perhaps how much charcoal you use when grilling.

5) Is it a consistent product or does it have miscellaneous crap or excessive dust in it?

If it works as well as K or Rancher on these points, then you should get back and buy them out ASAP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, That's a GREAT checklist to consider....thanks much for posting !

I usually have used Kingsford, but I've never paid that much attention to the "details" of the charcoal in any of my cooks. It's been a long time since I used my WSM, but I always had trouble keeping the temps down, so we'll see how today goes.....and it's a particularly windy day here in MD !

I'll also keep an eye on the consistency of the bricks....and the "smell" !

I figure, with the gyro meat cook, the details of the cook aren't that important, so I'll be able to keep a close watch on what these bricks do....I just don't know how to report on my findings, since I don't have a good baseline from previous cooks to work with <sigh>

Thanks again for the post !

Dean....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
By the way, this was the Giant Foods here in MD....don't know if Giant is up your way, but if so, you might want to check 'em out !
Dean.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We do, they did, I did get one bag @ $5.55 here in PA. Thanks for the heads up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
We do, they did, I did get one bag @ $5.55 here in PA. Thanks for the heads up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh good ! Someone who knows something about this charcoal stuff can comment <g> !

Here it was $7 without the card, but $3 off with the card....we shop there often (closest to the house) so it was a "no brainer" <g>

Let me know if it's something I should load up, in your opinion....I'll see how tonight's cook goes....

Dean...

FYI, Smart Living is a Stop and Shop brand name. (Stop and Shop is one of the main chains up in New England.) Stop and Shop bought Giant a couple years ago and that's why Giant carrys it too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pinny B.:
FYI, Smart Living is a Stop and Shop brand name. (Stop and Shop is one of the main chains up in New England.) Stop and Shop bought Giant a couple years ago and that's why Giant carrys it too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pinny,

That explains the S and S copyright wording on the bag ! Thanks !

So is this good stuff, or crap ????

Dean....

I saw this stuff in the Stop and Shop in South Windsor, CT and came straight here to see if anybody knew anything about it. Its awfully vague on the packaging, so I didn't get any.

I'll be waiting to here if its worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pinny B.:
FYI, Smart Living is a Stop and Shop brand name. (Stop and Shop is one of the main chains up in New England.) Stop and Shop bought Giant a couple years ago and that's why Giant carrys it too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, but
icon_confused.gif
but Pinny
icon_confused.gif
Thanks for the history lesson.
icon_razz.gif
I'm guessing you never used it?
icon_frown.gif
It's all in fun Pinny, don't mind me, I mean no harm,.
icon_wink.gif

We do, they did, I did get one bag @ $5.55 here in PA. Thanks for the heads up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

Try yours yet ? I'm not impressed...brown patches (sawdust ?) in the briqs, started slow, a lot of gritty stuff left over...looked like cat litter !!!

Oh well...picked up a twin pack of K (42 lbs) at BJ's for ~$14.

Dean...

Back