Small problem...need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul S74

TVWBB Member
Well I went to get my WSM ready for tomorrow, I took the cover off and then opened the lid. What i saw scared me , the whole middle section and bottom part of the WSM was full of mold!!!

I havent used the WSM in a few months, but I remember cleaning it after using it last time so I don't know how it got like this.

Will I be ok if I load up the charcoal ring and fire this baby up to 300 degrees and let all this stuff burn off today? Will it be ok to use tomorrow?? HELP!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Since the vapor from the water pan leaves the interior of my WSM moist after most cooks, I usually delay putting the cover back on for a day, if possible, and leave the vents open to let it dry out.

A half chimney of lit charcoal ought to do the trick.

Ewww. I've not heard this one before. If it were me, I'd scrub down the inside with warm, soapy water and a stiff brush and rinse well. Allow to air dry, then fire up on the big day and cook as usual.

Good luck,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb]...and cook as usual. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bearing in mind it may run hot like it did when new and soot-free.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.. I started it up at 11 am with a half full ring of coals.. I am working till 9 pm so I wont be able to check it out till then.

I am hoping it will be good to go by then.

Enjoy your turkey day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back