Small Pork Loin

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I bought a very small pork loin (3 lb) tonight. I'm gong to brine her in my molasses brine and I want to throw her on the WSM tomorrow. Should I go high heat or low and slow? There's not much fat on/in her so I'm thinking high heat.

Yep, high heat and pull it off at 150 max internal temp. A nice orange marmalade glaze with some ginger and cinnamon in it would be nice with that loin.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Bryan, that's what I thought. You working or drinking tonight? As for myself I'm drinking!!

Originally posted by LarryR:
Thanks Bryan, that's what I thought. You working or drinking tonight? As for myself I'm drinking!!
Well I'm drinking now, but have to get up in 6 hrs and punch the clock for one last day this week. It's all good though, my friend Louie, who helped with with the Pernil Pork recipe is bringing in Homemade Pasteles for all of us on Friday. So life is good and the Pernil is getting happy in the fridge and the beer is going down like water at this point.
icon_biggrin.gif

beer is going down like water at this point.

LOL, if you ever get out to the west coast you've got to come hang with Ed. C and myself, beer goes down like water for us too. In fact, we're doing a Q at his houses this weekend and we were talking about the pros and cons of keg beer and the bottom line was we can't get keg beer as cold as we can cans or bottles so we should stick with cans and bottles.

Originally posted by LarryR:
In fact, we're doing a Q at his houses this weekend and we were talking about the pros and cons of keg beer and the bottom line was we can't get keg beer as cold as we can cans or bottles so we should stick with cans and bottles.
Agreed!!! It has to be ICE cold.
icon_wink.gif
And I only buy cheap American swill in cans.
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry,
I'm probably too late to make a suggestion, but a 'reverse sear' is also a good method of cooking the pork loin.

Indirect in the 240º-260º range until internal temp gets around 110º-115º, remove and tent with foil. Crank up the heat and sear to an internal temp of around 150º-155º (the latter if you don't like a little pink), let rest 10 minutes or so before slicing.

I like the reverse sear also, but rarely cook pork over 140 these days, especially since I usually get another 5-7 degrees out of the rest time carry-over. I've finally convinced my family that a little pink is OK with today's pork.

In any event enjoy your cook, and all that ice cold brew! I'm thinking the same thing for this evening . . . a little time cooking and lots of brew (no cheap swill here though . . . ice cold Sierra Nevada, baby!)

Bill

I've decided to do this little guy on a kettle vs. the WSM so I'll do a reverse sear on her. It's been brining overnight in a molasses brine and as soon as I'm done working here I'm going to crack open a cold one and start a chimney of coals, let the weekend begin. I'm going to use a piece of apple wood too, should give her a nice flavor mixed with the molasses brine. Of course I'll have some pictures later.

PICTURES

This one was a winner, turned out great! I brined her for around 12 hours in the molasses brine then did her indirect over some apple wood for about 1 hour. Perfect, moist, tender, highly recommend!

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Well I'm drinking now, but have to get up in 6 hrs and punch the clock for one last day this week. It's all good though, my friend Louie, who helped with with the Pernil Pork recipe is bringing in Homemade Pasteles for all of us on Friday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FWIW, I was a 1/2hr late on Friday.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Louie brought me in 2 Pasteles and they were fantastic.
icon_smile.gif

Pics look great Larry.
icon_cool.gif

Thats one good looking pork loin you got there Larry
icon_cool.gif
In fact it looked so good I just sent my wife to pick up a couple of those little buggers, (boneless top loin?) to cook up with the turkey breasts I have planned. First I gotta get off this computer though
icon_rolleyes.gif

Brandon

This one was a winner, turned out great! I brined her for around 12 hours in the molasses brine then did her indirect over some apple wood for about 1 hour. Perfect, moist, tender, highly recommend!

Do you notice a molasses flavor? I had an argument with a friend about whether brines impart any flavor. I argue that they do, she thought it was a waste to use anything other than salt and sugar.

man, this reminds me that I have a bone-in loin in my freezer itching to get smoked. That sure looked good.

Anybody ever do a bone-in loin really low to get smoked but not done, let it rest, cut into chops and sear them on a grill with a sauce? That was to be my plan.

Both my SO and myself think we tasted the molasses but honestly it was very faint or maybe it was all in our heads. However, my Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup turkey brine, no question you can taste the flavor.

Flavors in flavor brines take a while to transfer. Longer than tyoical brine times, especially if one wishes a stronger flavor and especially if many of the flavor volatiles are fat soluble rather than water soluble.

Both my SO and myself think we tasted the molasses but honestly it was very faint or maybe it was all in our heads. However, my Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup turkey brine, no question you can taste the flavor.

same thing here, sometimes I wonder if its all in my head. I do a 48 brine for turkey with oj and chipotle and I swear the orange comes through.

Is the JD brine posted here? I've been working on a maple bourbon recipe (brine/rub/glaze) and I'd like to compare.

Back