Small Pork Loin Questions

Phil Pavlovicz

TVWBB Member
I originally posted this in the New WSM Owners forum (don't ask me why) but got no hits. I thought I'd repost here to see if I could get a response.

I have been spring cleaning the freezer and am planning to do a small pork loin (3.8 lb) on my WSM. My plan is to brine it in an apple/maple syrup brine I got off the forum and do a high heat cook. I haven't done a loin yet and have a few questions:
How long should I brine a loin of that size? I was thinking at least 12 hrs?
Secondly, should I sear first over the fire ring? I was planning on pulling it off the smoker at about 140 deg.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Phil,

I generally only brine chicken, but in my experience, it's hard to over-brine or over-marinade something. I think there are diminishing returns with the increased time, so I doubt hours 13-16 will matter as much as hours 1-4. I could be wrong though.

I think 12 hours would be fine, but I'm not sure how much pork loin takes to brine to begin with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think there are diminishing returns with the increased time, so I doubt hours 13-16 will matter as much as hours 1-4. I could be wrong though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're right.

Phil, sear at the end, if necessary. Often it is not - the surface caramelizes sufficiently during cooking. If at, say, 135 or so it has not done so to your liking, sear at that point, till your target temp is reached, turning frequently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">diminishing returns with the increased time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? In a flavor brine? Maybe depending on the salt %. (?)

I was speaking of the salt, not the flavor. Maximizing time is important for flavor transfer if it's a flavor brine or brine-marinade.

Back